Im designing a new slingshot

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by JaggerJagger, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

At this point i have not even drawn many pictures yet (ill post some later) but i read a thread with an idea with pulleys and rope to increase speed. I wont increase speed with his idea, but instead use it as a basis to minimize the force needed to stretch the rubber even though it would be extreme speargun rubber. There is probably a flaw i havnt noticed yet that will ruin my plans but if anyone thinks it can be done let me know. I need tips for wood carving also to carve it. P.S. Im new to the thread nice to be here, i hope i can talk to the slingshot legend Joerge Sprave. :D Need for speed. Acceleration systems the thread is on this website

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Need for speed? You came to the right place. Welcome here, brother. Show us your ideas!

3. Otees

Otees Another Member

Welcome to the forum there are many who can help you out. Good luck with the slingshot!

4. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

Haha, thanks for the warm welcome everyone, nice to see everyones friendly around here! Ill go draw my pictures now, but beware they probably wont be very good, and thats if i can even get them uploaded, im gonna try but im on a kindle fire so...

5. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

Ok, before i download my pictures tonight, i wanted to explain my first idea without the pulleys. Ok so you know how, with a slingshot the band stretches then snaps back to place to launch a projectile? While when you use a bow the wood bends and snaps back to place instead if the string? Well my idea was what if the top of the slingshot was widened a bit, and was able to bend back when you pulled and then snap back into place like a bow when you let go, but while still using rubber like a slingshot. would this increase power, or is it a useless idea to be forgotten? Ill try to explain better if you need me too.:confused:

6. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

I think it's a good thought and worth testing!
    I believe it would act like a forced flip and therefor increase speed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

Yay! I might have had a good idea!!!:D i have another idea that might, key word "might" make it so you can have 100 or more pound draw weight, the speed of a thinner band, and only have to pull the rubber back with a force of 20-30 pounds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I floated this idea on another forum a while back and it was swiftly dismissed....though I was not entirely clear why. I still wonder about the possibility for a slingbow. The crucial part would be the relationship between the wood and the rubber...if carefully matched I could see it giving a pseudotapering effect.
    But whether that would give any advantage over conventional pseudotapering is anyone's guess.
    I think it's an idea that has to be done !

9. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

I don't know why this idea was swiftly dismissed but I had people in my working days, especially people with a degree, who would not accept an idea if it was not from them.
    It might not be the case here. But I like to hear the arguments against it.
    It might not be easy to set up a slingshot like this but I still think its worth to try.

10. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I wonder if a quick way of testing it might be to start with a standard crossbow and replace the string with either TTS or speargun rubber (with the usual slingbow string of course.) Unfortunately my crossbow is back in the UK and I don't think The Man would let me play with his :(

11. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Do you mean that you want to use rubber loaded levers like the Raptor?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxS2eiEZ3M[/ame]

Or levers and normal bands?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbNdk4_aIok[/ame]

Or is this idea of yours completely different? I don't really understand it from your description.

12. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Well, i cant make one yet so you guys feel free too!

13. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

Joerg, the scond one, and some ideas from the first is exactly what i was talking about, but you beat me to it! Thats awsome to know it works, and thanks you so much for replying! All hail Joerg! All hail Joerg! Also, jist a quick after thought which is what if you modified or made another giant slingshot cannon to shoot giant crossbow bolts? Or giant arrows? Just a thought, thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013