I'm back

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by BrPio, Aug 30, 2013.

1. BrPio

BrPio .

Hi y'all. I was away for a while. I thought I'd show a little summer project I'v been working on. As some may know I'm a full time bladesmith. And I needed a new forge. So I'm building one. Since I'm from New Mexico and have much experience making and building with adobe, I made the forge from adobe. It can easily handle a blade that's 4ft, It can smelt iron ore. Next is some new bellows. forge 005.jpg

forge 004.jpg

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hey, glad to see you back man, I was wondering where you disappeared to!
    Nice forge, excited to see what you produce from it!

Like your cat too, must be the forge mascot:D

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

is it coal fired? i'm starting on a 50gal drum furnace, i was curious what clay you used as i haven't really worked with a furnace or forge since highskool in the mid 90s.

4. BrPio

BrPio .

It can use both coal or hardwood charcoal. It all depends on what type of work I'm doing (heat treating, smelting, forging, ect) and what time of year (our coal mines don't distribute in summer). The clay is our native red clay which we have an abundance of. I mix in some sand and a little straw to form the bricks. Than everything is top coated with clay and sand mix.

5. Schultz

Schultz New Member

That looks really Nice! :cool:
    Some Pics when you made a blade or smelt iron would be grade! :D

6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I'm also glad you are back.

Respectable forge for sure, cat approved is the only way to build:D

7. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Wow that's awesome!

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

welcome back! very nice forge!

9. BrPio

BrPio .

Thanks for the comments. Finished the new bellows for it. I didn't make the for looks. My concern is more about how they work. There big, they stand at 5ft tall, double valve so the air flow does not stop and blows plenty of air. The frame is 4x5 studs all treated with Linseed oil. I plan on hanging tools off it. And if anyone is wondering, I do use an electric blower at times but there is just a certain satisfaction when working bellows by hand.
    forge 001.jpg

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great stuff!!