I'm a knifeholic

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by JoeChen, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JoeChen

JoeChen Junior Member

Hey guys,
    This is my second thread at slingshot forum,
    I don't know what kind of knife you guys like,
    but I'm a knifeholic for quite a long time. :D

This knife was made by me. Blade length was about 12.4cm.
    No I'm not making knives for living,
    I work in university as an associate professor,
    knife making is my hobby. :)

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, that's an amazing piece of work! I looked at the photo before I read the description and I thought you were posting a new purchase. I'm very impressed with your skill level, you are right up there with some of the best I've seen. Great job. Is that sheath made of Kydex?

3. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Looks nice, very clean.

4. LW

LW New Member

Man this is one fine piece of a knife. And looking at you website, I understand the meaning of “knifeholic”

This was not you first knife and looking through your collection I like very much almost 90 % of what I’ve seen. Can see the passion in you work.

Even if you don’t make knives for living, it would be interesting for me what price range those knives are. (If there is one for selling)

Even if you have not posted the link, wrong modesty, then I have to do this:

http://jc.rident.org/index.html

If you don’t want the link shown here, I will delete it…

5. JoeChen

JoeChen Junior Member

Withak,
    Yes that's a kydex sheath.

LW,
    I didn't expect anyone here will discover my web pages because it's written in Chinese mostly.
    Thanks for the link. :)
    The pages were built for record and it's convenient to share what I did to my local friends.
    I don't sell my knives, we have to apply license for knife sale here and I have not ready to go that far yet.
    Sometimes I trade what I made to my local friends, and always "traded" in seconds.
    I really enjoy the time when I make knives during weekend or summer/winter vacation.
    Besides knife making, cycling is what I crazy for too.

I like to say thanks to all of you for your positive comments, hope you enjoy these home-made things.

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Excellent craftsmanship! I'm with Withak and LW 100%! If you were to place one for sale or a specified trade, I have no doubt you would receive a blast of responses and/or offers!

7. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Looks very professional.... very good looking knife. I love the blade and the sheath and the handle! :-D

EDIT: wow very nice work on your knives! I love the sheaths tho.. how do you make them, and are the attachements(belt etc..) that you have shown screwed on the sheaths also self made?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  9. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

You easily could be, though. Those are some beautiful knives!:eek::cool: I see you use a lot of S35VN. The Crucible steel have become some of my favorites. I'm especially fond of CPM 154 and S30V. I haven't tried anything in S35VN yet, though.

10. Mister Magpie

Mister Magpie New Member

When does class begin, I would like to sign up, Associate Professor! ;)

11. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

WOW, I like your work. I just started look at your web site and I could spend hours looking at your creations (and probably will) . Can't wait to see more of you work.

Until later.

12. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Wow wow WOW!! Great-looking piece!! :D

13. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

The couple I saw with belt attachments were using Tek-Loks. They're pretty standard in the knife industry. I have them on a couple of my knives. They work very well, though I find them a bit bulky. Here's some of the stuff they make: http://usaknifemaker.com/tek-lok-and-sheath-accessories-c-142.html :cool:

14. JoeChen

JoeChen Junior Member

Thanks for your kind comments. :)

For carry options, TEK-LOK is one of them, my TEK-LOKs are all old model, BladeTech released a new version few years ago.
    Also I have kydex belt-carry like the picture shown below. It can be attached to sheaths of most of my small knives,
    in this way I don't have to have MANY kydex belt-carry parts.
    For easy carry, one simple slip kydex sheath (like the one shown at first post of this thread) with Pull-the-dot rubber band are very good too.

Attached Files:

15. Davie_oi

Davie_oi Junior Member

Awesome work, well done sir!

16. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

There is certainly a place for you, here among us.

My knifemaking has just begun, even though I have been wanting to get to it for 35 years now.

17. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

What wood is that? You made it look great!

18. JoeChen

JoeChen Junior Member

Thank you for good comments.

The wood is Dymondwood I got it from US dealer.
    Basically it's laminated wood with epoxy. Pretty easy to play with it.

Here has a knife I finished not too long ago.
    The handle is carved green canvas Micarta, steel is S35VN, blade length is 10.9cm

[​IMG]