The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the state of Illinois. It is kind of like Germany. Guns are a complicated subject. There is no open carry. You can't have pepper spray, or knives over 3.5". You can't have clubs, or broken bottles, or throwing stars.

What you can have? A crossbow, or a slingshot, in a case fully enclosed, with the intent to hunt. Since there is some animals which are considered pests, the slingshot can be argued in court to be allowed to be carried even in the city, where rats could technically be considered an open season pest.

Of course this being said, I have been on a conquest to make an EDC slingshot. Something that shoots a .50 cal lead ball. Black Powder ammunition. And I need it to be the best of the best of the best.

I see people say to check out Jorg's slingshot calculator, but I don't see it available. I have built a half a dozen slingshots in my younger years, but after trying to build an over the hand model, and nearly breaking my hand, I gave up.

So I'm on a conquest to make this EDC slingshot that makes sense. Walmart has pouches for sale for like $7. I have a model that I have figured is about the most practical for a small weapon which I pictured the basic design.

I plan on molding it out of HDPE, as that is light weight, and has an easy color variety. Not to mention, I can save milk jugs, and various garbage from my house, and make several good enough sling shots to be ready to pass them out or give them away cheap in the event that either gas goes over 6.66 a gallon, or they decide to ban guns altogether.

I can't say I'm 100% against the idea. In a state like Montana where I frequented grizzly bear habitat, a gun was something that if you didn't need, it at least gave you the confidence to get more then 100 yards from your truck.

Here in Illinois, the only thing I need a gun for, are people who have guns... So I guess in a world of magic, if there were none, not having the ability to have one wouldn't bother me.

At any rate, if anyone could give me time tested experienced advise I would be very greatful. I have not made the forks yet to have a band width, so the dimensions can be adjusted to make something practical.

I understand that thin bands are faster, but they also break easier... But I know some of you guys out there know exactly the right bands, to get the best shot out of your .50 cal balls, with good band life.

If you happen to know anywhere else where you can purchase larger lead ammo, something that would make a slingshot even more comparable with someone who has a handgun, please feel free to leave me links or specs on the slingshot to shoot that ammo.

I'm hoping within the next 3 months I can have this project done. I doubt I will sell them commercially, as it's more of an idea just to have my own stock pile of practical weapons. And of course I can set up a blanketed area in my room and just plink around watching TV to keep on working on my accuracy.

Thanks for the help in advance. Jorg has been a great guy to watch on TV since the old days. Let me show you it's features! lol... Good times as a young man.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Luci. Yeah, I am going to be buying my own Thera-band, hoping I get some good quality natural latex. I'm also thinking I can get a .80" ball, 80 caliber instead of a .50 ball, which would add 60% to the diameter and weight. The crux behind the slingshot is keeping your ammo flying. No matter how much rubber you add to it, you'll still only get around 720 (I think) FPS. Been a long time since I actually went through the research. (thank Jorg for his break down charts.) So the heavier your ammo, the better distance, momentum ect. You can't speed it up beyond the natural latex's contraction rate, so at that sweet speed point, all you can do is get a bigger ball. While I was thinking of trying to find a 1" ball in the beginning, that didn't seem practical to find out of lead.

In the days to come I will try to make my own bands out of some latex I have laying around, but I need some good high quality slingshot grade stuff to make this thing actually "Side Arm" worthy. I'm still lost to what dimensions to cut the bands. You'd think it's not that big of a difference, that I could cut like 1/4" strips and just throw a bunch together... But I have had slingshots that were SLOW.. and others that seemed to whip that ball with the type of power needed to be impressive. Something about physics... It has to have that momentum to get the ball moving, but still reach the top speeds needed to get the ball flying at max speed... But I have to wait for all this. I have started to redo my frame, so I still have maybe 1-2 days before I can actually start thinking about cutting rubber. I have leather and bands sitting around for fun, but I still can only take the project so far without top of the line band materials.

As for things in California I hear ya. It's funny knowing that I have enough educated in less then 1 month to build a gun if I were to buy maybe $500-$1000 in equip. That's not having a 3D printer. I watched Philippeno's in the jungle take files and sheet metal, a few drill bits and no electricity, and build over 100 911's... Point in saying this is criminals will always get their hands on guns for crime... As these laws come into play, our "ghost gun" glock will probably soon hit $1500-$2500 street value, with up to $3000 fully set with a 100 round mag and an auto seer... Those kind of price increases make the chance of this whole anti-gun movement guaranteed to beat the attempt to illegalize alcohol.... Only difference between alcohol and illegal gun manufacturing however, is that you can guarantee that the person selling illegal guns, has a gun, probably more then 1 gun, and probably a machine gun.. Maybe other explosive devices... It's just a very very sticky black market to have jumping up there from price increases... But oh well kinda...

As for the idea of the Slingshot, I have changed my design based on a surge of intelligence from "prayer". I moved the handle towards a side shooting device, and may laminate another handle on the front, or may do another design out of clay to try and have an offset bulb to cast. I realize that when I have 30lbs-45lbs of pull on this thing, it's going to want flip out of my hand. So of course I'll use a proper lanyard. But if worst comes to worst, they will illegalize "wrist rockets" or any slingshot with a brace. You figure the furthest they are going to take the law, is the way the law exists over in europe.. So I avoid breaking those standards for something I consider to be 100% legal for the rest of time.

I found Teraband gold online for I think it was $40 for 6 (feet or yards) and about $200 for 50 (feet or yards). The add said yards.. But I'm not 100% sure they were right.. 6 yards of Theraband is 18 feet... So that would mean that $40 could make like.... 75 slingshot band sets... for $40...

At any rate, if you're headed on the idea, feel free to discuss your hardships and progress. This whole aspect is built towards the (side Arm) idea.. So ya know.. goal is to be able to hit a human in the ribs, and break a rib, or take a head shot, and possibly kill a man... Have something that could take down a shooter... I hate the idea of being out there as a person who typically follows the law, knowing that the divide between being armed and unarmed may hing on if you're willing to break the law on a day to day basis or not. If I took deeper roots into a criminal network, the idea of law wouldn't bother me at all... I have been "criminal" in my social networks before. So I realize that every day I suffer from some stupid flout of telepathic exchange from "manufacturing weapons" as I'm making a slingshot, if I were just in the criminal networks, I wouldn't have to suffer these issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This seems to be 70% of the style towards the "ultimate sidearm"... About the best you can get for a flat piece of wood. The better model seems to sit at 2-3 times the thickness, as the natural curve of the hand doesn't sit on the flat wood well. It takes an odd shape, that looks a lot like not much of anything you find manufactured... Probably because it's a pain in the butt, and by the time you go that far, you would probably make the grips custom to each shooter using modeling clay for a 100% perfect snug fit... Which I kind of hope to be able to do... If not for anyone but myself, at least to know I can have that natural feeling in my palm for my wrist and natural holding style as I come up with the band. Slingshots are fun to carve and play with, so I can't see any harm in making dozens of different plans and playing around every day.. A 8"x8" piece of wood is easy enough to grab off a tree or a garbage pile and tinker with a pencil and a hand saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit- Bad stuff about the USG... No point fueling the controversy unless I have to, but this talk about gun laws and who should be allowed to have a gun and who shouldn't started another controversy. So here's the explanation of why despite the law... You might want to get a slingshot or a crossbow.

And at the end of the day, it's hard to argue.... But what if they couldn't have guns. What if anyone "under the influence" meaning having anyone in their social network, and holding a "gun" in their hand, or having it on their side, (in direct possession) caused them discomfort?

And in the end of days, there will be a war. Those attacking will "drop their weapons at the gate"... There is a lot more to that concept in reality.... As people give children drugs, and let them play with guns while the drug man is with them, are fried, but have a sub-conscious gravitation towards being high, and playing with people who have guns on them.

So it doesn't matter what the law says when this starts getting towards it's maturation of organization. I know a cop who takes an anti-depressant prescribed by a doctor. He has a gun. He has episodes where he is suffering from pain and problems where he can't explain 100% why. We can mix things around, I can over-step him, and we can directly threaten some with the loss of life to leave him alone. But before this is all over, the fact he takes his medication that he is allowed to take, and carries a gun, means he is high, and he has a weapon. He feels high. He knows he has the gun. That's all it takes. The only way to be safe with a gun in the US as these things continue to develop... Is to not feel high. Which means you can't have anyone around you feeling high either, as social entanglement is still "under the influence"... And these things ment to prevent gun violence aren't exactly critical thinkers.. They just know what feels high, and what has the gun... So the cops get to be sober... Or they can suffer... And it's hard for them to digest this truth.....

But in the mean time... I'll stick to my slingshot... Because in reality, they won't be targeted like the guns... And I'll stick to maybe a crossbow... Because they won't be targeted.. But... When it comes time for me to dance with the grizzly bears in the rocky mountains as I do so frequently... I still wonder if I will be safe in a place where the only practical thing to do is have a projectile big and powerful enough to knock back a 300lb-500lb+ animal...

Crazy me,,, sorry off topic maybe. but ya know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
what I did realize is that ammunition is not limited to lead. Ceramic balls from plaster are easy to make, and easy to make hollow. They also sell the pepper balls for a pepper gun. And those are quite effective as shown on TV. But then you have other things you can fill a ball with. Itching powder for example would cause your issue to be cascaded with irritation. Social entanglement often breaks under intense stress, so if your enemy has a social network, and they are guaranteed to, which is influencing their performance, or their attitude, breaking one of these itching powder balls near them to touch, or to drift the powder on them would not hurt them, but would put them into a fit of itching which would excommunicate them from their community. Essentially stripping there telepathy to their own person. This is the same principal behind the stink bombs. I have also been wondering what the effects would be of taking Epsom salt, and making it into a fine powder. It's a laxative and an anti-psychotic.

Of course, you also have the poisons that are offered for arrows. I haven't done too much research into this topic. I realize if you got the frog from the Amazon you could paralyze your people.

Trick I'm looking for would be something like Sapharis (SP). It's an anti-psychotic that desolves on your tongue. and it hits in like 10 seconds. If you could get something that absorbed through the skin like this, if you hit a person with the dust cloud, you could take them down from whatever type of rant they are on.

Same concept as the itching powder, but like other aspects of human psychology, irritants can make a person go on a rampage. While a sedative type powder that absorbed through the skin would be more ideal to ensure a nice peaceful put down. Benzodiazapines are hard to find legally to make into a powder, but you could use regular everclear or ethal alcohol in a bulb. Swishing in the mouth adds an instant drunken feeling without swollowing. Essentially that would effect the person at the psychological level if hit in the eyes, maybe if left on the skin.

And of course flamables, which is the alcohol ball. But I'm trying to avoid anything in the area of fuses. I'm sure I could make a little blast cap ball within the scope of not having an explosive if I tired. No point getting a felonly.

But yeah, the idea of using a slingshot is a great idea for a toy, and to take it up a notch into the world of real weaponry. Not many people are out there trying to make this type of weapon practical on the streets.

I had more interesting things to say, but someone reading my shit didn't like it and caused me to have a headache.. And they wonder why people want to break people's shit...

Act like a criminal, you get a cop, act like a cop, they call you a nark... You can't fucking win with the underground.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as this has progressed, I've nearly gotten these two frames ready to cast. And of course, not knowing much about slinshots, I'm keep looking around. Now I'm looking at the variety of Saunders models, and the bands they offer, and I realize that what I have is descent by being compact... But for power, I would have to have some type of extended fork system.... So I'd imagine soon enough, I will try and make something along the lines of maybe 18" and foldable, that extends to some reach which I can be more confident in the power. I won't be trying to cast this one out of any plastic as a toy that I make from my plastic garbage at home. Just 1 extended model, would be nice for something I can kill a deer with if possible. At any rate, if anyone reads at this point, I have also realized that I can purchase Saunders bands for my simple frames, and make them essentially as effective as their Wing model. Of course, in doing so, I can somewhat reverse engineer the pouch idea, and probably make my own replication out of HDPE plastics, and then add more power to the band in the even that I try to step up my game to .80. Apparently the difference between the 50cal lead ball and the 80 cal lead ball is pretty extravagant. I'd imagine this forum has already gotten boring, so I may start a new forum later after I have finished a few simple models, and am able to get more into the concept of a foldable extendable version, which would be closer to modeling the power of a pistol. 300fps on 50cal is what saunders is getting. So just by using their bands I'm sure I can accomplish that. Still have many many days before I am doing much with bands. But It's a fun little thing to keep my hands busy, and keep my arms moving using simple hand tools. Getting the right type of tree branch dried to make a good extended model will be a trip into the woods soon I'm sure. But as Illinois continues to threaten potential bans on various items, and still has "Red Flag" laws that do not provide due process... I see no need to spend all my time fighting the law. It's a lot easier to just adapt my systems to ensure no matter what these burocrats do, I don't have to worry about someone with a metal plate on his chest putting me into shackels and throwing me into a concrete box for what was legal yesterday, but became illegal today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this forum is boring now it seems. I went ahead and ordered a Saunders Slingshot. Looks pretty descent. Picked up some 50 cal lead balls too. Also got some itching powder. I still am trying to make my own, which I plan on keeping at it, but I'm wanting to play around, and making one myself has been horribly slow and boring. Now I figure after a few days I can try to spread my plaster molds appart, and if I'm lucky and didn't screw it up too much, I may have a mold I can use out of HDPE. But if it doesn't work, I've got some chunks of wood, and I'll make a few that are not wrist rocket styles for fun. Sometimes the law prevents you from packing around a wrist rocket, and I like the idea of doing what Fowler does and putting one in a little pouch, so I'll keep pushing for that idea. But I want to get to start practicing. I was descent when I was a kid, but I probably haven't shot a slingshot in like... 4-6 years, and even then I didn't shoot but a few times since I was like 12..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts