The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the state of Illinois. It is kind of like Germany. Guns are a complicated subject. There is no open carry. You can't have pepper spray, or knives over 3.5". You can't have clubs, or broken bottles, or throwing stars.

What you can have? A crossbow, or a slingshot, in a case fully enclosed, with the intent to hunt. Since there is some animals which are considered pests, the slingshot can be argued in court to be allowed to be carried even in the city, where rats could technically be considered an open season pest.

Of course this being said, I have been on a conquest to make an EDC slingshot. Something that shoots a .50 cal lead ball. Black Powder ammunition. And I need it to be the best of the best of the best.

I see people say to check out Jorg's slingshot calculator, but I don't see it available. I have built a half a dozen slingshots in my younger years, but after trying to build an over the hand model, and nearly breaking my hand, I gave up.

So I'm on a conquest to make this EDC slingshot that makes sense. Walmart has pouches for sale for like $7. I have a model that I have figured is about the most practical for a small weapon which I pictured the basic design.

I plan on molding it out of HDPE, as that is light weight, and has an easy color variety. Not to mention, I can save milk jugs, and various garbage from my house, and make several good enough sling shots to be ready to pass them out or give them away cheap in the event that either gas goes over 6.66 a gallon, or they decide to ban guns altogether.

I can't say I'm 100% against the idea. In a state like Montana where I frequented grizzly bear habitat, a gun was something that if you didn't need, it at least gave you the confidence to get more then 100 yards from your truck.

Here in Illinois, the only thing I need a gun for, are people who have guns... So I guess in a world of magic, if there were none, not having the ability to have one wouldn't bother me.

At any rate, if anyone could give me time tested experienced advise I would be very greatful. I have not made the forks yet to have a band width, so the dimensions can be adjusted to make something practical.

I understand that thin bands are faster, but they also break easier... But I know some of you guys out there know exactly the right bands, to get the best shot out of your .50 cal balls, with good band life.

If you happen to know anywhere else where you can purchase larger lead ammo, something that would make a slingshot even more comparable with someone who has a handgun, please feel free to leave me links or specs on the slingshot to shoot that ammo.

I'm hoping within the next 3 months I can have this project done. I doubt I will sell them commercially, as it's more of an idea just to have my own stock pile of practical weapons. And of course I can set up a blanketed area in my room and just plink around watching TV to keep on working on my accuracy.

Thanks for the help in advance. Jorg has been a great guy to watch on TV since the old days. Let me show you it's features! lol... Good times as a young man.
I called Big 5 Sporting Goods today and they have some replacement bands I've been looking for it's getting harder to find that stuff I looked at some hunting slingshots online and it said it won't send it to my area I live in San Diego California your idea of stockpiling these things I think it's a brilliant idea hopefully we can get our inventory complete before it gets impossible to get some of these thanks I wish you all the Luci

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was watching some videos today I brought my neighbor's tablet ran until it ran out of juice researching slingshots bands pouches I'm going to purchase a couple slingshots that hold three bands on each side with the wrist brace I'm addicted to the old wrist rocket Style I also watch some videos on bands pouches and the size of projectiles and the combination the projectiles and the strength of the Bands I also learned lead ammo is denser and packs a little more of a punch in hunting situations which means probably everything else too I found some replacement bands they have a small hole in the pouch in the center I think that'll work perfect to hold 3/8 bearings I usually target practice with I do on a slingshot with the black bands on it maybe just single bands and I want it tight enough where I can barely hold it still and find it real big bearing or lead ball to shoot most of my ideas and for Target practicing but I still got that little part of me it realizes I might have to do some damage sometime to something or someone since I'm not a gun owner if I was I would probably own 357 Magnum the only pistol I enjoyed shooting or probably a rifle or shotgun but that's not an option right now things are weird in San Diego people dying of fentanyl all the time ghost guns people getting shot downtown for no reason I can't carry the slingshot with me all the time but we don't have those laws like you do about carrying it in a case I think the last law they passed regarding slingshots was you can't shoot them in city limits I have a place in the canyon where I shoot into a box I can see all around me if anybody's coming like the cops I'm not losing ammo I've got a huge Canyon behind me nothing's going to get hurt if I misfire I got my lines rehearsed if the cops ever do show up I don't think they will but people with cell phones can get a little high-and-mighty sometimes our laws are changed with slingshots because of what's the word juvenile Behavior property damage maybe a person or two or cat getting shot it's just like any other hunting thing or tool you're being respectful of everything you can but just the word slingshot to the untrained individual is considered something you break windows with shoot cars cats whatever I've been tempted to go in the parking lot next door to where I live I'm a dying to shoot my black widow I changed the bands on it but where I live is some low-cost housing which means there's unnecessarily violence and drug activity going on I'm sure I'll be viewed as a threat to society if I'm seeing doing it I'm trying to find another box to drag down in the Canyon they get wet in Fall Apart and I shoot hundreds of holes in them they just bust apart I'm trying to find an old TV box from a large flat screen no luck yet I got a couple slingshot some bearings I'm going to purchase some things here it's eating at me to shoot these things especially when I get the new ones I guess what I'm saying is I have to be very careful just the trainings in the changes in the city I've been quite extreme in the last 2 years used to be a nice place to live but we're right on the border to Mexico people do stupid things nowadays shoot people with guns innocent people about 3 months ago the person was shot in the head with a arrow downtown everybody views everything as an offensive weapon nobody thinks of Target practicing nobody considers maybe a defensive weapon I mean what if you're married or have kids and somebody is messing with your house or something trying to break in I see nothing wrong with shooting this person with a very large bearing either in the heart or in the forehead that sounds mean but if you want to take something for me you have to get past my slingshot first I hope it never comes to that but it is nice shooting large size ammo going back to the original idea you had I got some tubing from a diving supply place here once it was black and I can barely get it on the forks it was so thick I could barely hold it back I was shaking like a alcoholic on drugs I just hope you can match up the size ammo with the right tubing and length the person that did the video today seems to think that makes a world of difference you want it thick enough to get full force but you might put too much emphasis on either the tubing or the projectile the videos were good as far as shooting technique I really didn't learn anything a lot of stuff I done by myself when I was younger like the stance the positioning of the forks the grip on the pouch also getting my shot afterwards the last thing you're supposed to do I'm looking forward to shooting again I'm glad to talk to somebody that understands and also like to just compare the slingshot for a very heavy projectile it's really nice when you get a plastic bottle or something that I used to hang up in front of the box with a large projectile it really hits hard all you have to do really is this a little higher it depends on if you use the 90° angle or like the old wrist Rockets maybe like a 45 angle I hope you get to the point of shooting whatever you're making soon you're going to love it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts