The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me preface by saying I stumbled across Joerg's stuff by having his Adderini show up in a Google image search for crossbows. It so fascinated me that I proceeded to binge most of his channel! The progress and inventiveness is amazing and I'm excited to see where it will go next. My personal interest would be in the field of repeating crossbows to hunt small and medium sized game. However I am not a strong person, and I know in the videos there's been mention of difficulty cocking the stronger throwing arms and wanting to make it easier. Having no workshop or tools for making experiments myself I'm posting some ideas that may make it easier to cock stronger throwing mechanisms, in hopes someone may have already tried or be interested in trying them.

With both the rear butt and front swing type lever mechanisms (I do love a good fulcrum point), Joerg's mentioned how it's inefficient that only one direction of the action is put into pulling back the string, I agree! What if both the push and pull were to put energy into pulling the string back? Using the Barnett Commando as a basis for the cocking action, you can see that the string is drawn back by an arm. What would happen if we instead connect that arm to a wheel, like you see on a steam locomotion engine's wheels?

Ex: Steam engine wheel motion
Ex: chain with prongs
Art Font Household cleaning supply Slope Illustration

Put a wheel near the trigger end and the far end of the crossbow and stretch between them a chain with 2 sets of prongs on it for catching the string. When you pull down the butt end the chain would bring the string halfway back, and finish bringing it to the trigger when you lift the butt back up. And since there's a second prong, there's a new string catch waiting for your next load at the far end already. Uncatching the string once it's been delivered to the trigger mechanism can be handled many ways, like having a wheel near the trigger depress/ lay back the prongs to delatch them from the string.

If that doesn't give enough power to pull back the string easily, perhaps involve simple gears to increase torque.
Product Gear Font Crankset Bicycle part

Other than that, I remember seeing a prototype of a bottom-loading bolt magazine that looked a bit awkward to get on and off, so here's a quick sketch of a front tab-and-hole with rear spring latch. Shove the tab into the hole and then just slam the magazine up against the weapon body so the latches catch, and done. Release by pressing the top of the latch.
Handwriting Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern

If they might work, could try retrofitting tests onto a Stinger or similar prototype instead of building a whole crossbow just to test.

Any thoughts on if these ideas might work? Perhaps inspire better ideas? :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts