Idea for Mythbusters

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jeremy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I was recently watching Mythbusters and thought; "why don't they do an episode on slingshot myths?"

Let me know what tests you would like to see.

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Myth #1- Arturo misses some of his shots.
    Myth #2- Ruthie's starships have no carving.
    Myth #3- Joerg is weak and cannot draw more that 30 pounds.
    Myth #4- BV cannot make a SS out of a splint.
    Myth #5- BeMahoney does not make his own micarta.
    Myth #6- Dolomite hates dogs.
    Myth #7- Wild Bill hates cats.

-Wild Bill

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Please do not forget myths no. 8 - 899:

Baba can't do ... (insert ridiculous feat, including intensively glowing gaseous discharges)

4. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Myth number 900 Joerg only shoots 20 mm steel and various heavy pointy objects.

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I don't know that there are too many myths about slingshots beyond most non-slingshooters underestimate their power and some other folks over-estimate the power of slingshots. Although as Joerg has proven, if you can make a big enough platform, draw back enough latex, and use big enough ammo, there aren't really many limits. Still, unless your skin turns green and your body gets big enough yto shred all your clothes except your purple pants, there is a limit to what a traditional slingshot can achieve. Deadliest Warrior already tested a wrist rocket as a combat weapon and hunters have p[roven a slingshot to be an effective small game weapon and slingbows an effective big game weapon. What else is there to prove or question?

Now if I can just get Mythbusters to do a special on Batman and an off the shelf Batsuit! :)

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's not a myth, but I'd love to see how high you can shoot a projectile using only rubber products. I think it's kind of been explored before, but I don't know if it's been explored to the extreme limits. I think that is a perfect Joerg test. Altitude Busters baby!

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

There is still one big project I want to do. The "Da Vinci" giant crossbow myth.

The myth is that you can build a muscle operated weapon that will shoot a 100 lbs (44kg) stone ball (roughly 12" or 31 cm diameter) 28 yards (25 meters) far, and a 10lbs (4,4kg) ball 280 yards (250 meters) far. It is over 500 years old and goes back to a giant crossbow designed by Leonardo da Vinci. Vinci never built the thing, he only sketched it out for the Duke of Milan, Ludovico Sforza, sometime between 1482 and 1492.

http://slingshotchannel.blogspot.de/2011/09/leonardos-giant-crossbow-challenge.html

Mind you we are talking a SHOOTER. Trebuchets can do it of course, but those don't shoot. They lob. You can't aim with a trebuchet like you can with a cannon or a crossbow.

It has been tried, but failures all around. I think I can do it. 7 meters draw, 500 kg draw weight.

THAT would be a myth worth a test. Too bad I don't have the funds nor the space at the moment.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Now that would be cool to see.

9. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

Leonardo has invented some interesting things but as I saw the 44kg and the 25m I also thought if it is possible that Leonard never heard about the trebuchet. A trebuchet can throw stones up to 160kg or 30kg over 300m. It is like a traditional (very large) slingshot with a mechanical throwing arm. So why invented Leonardo a weak machine. Perhaps he did it only because it is a lot of fun to invent things.

The 7 meters draw and 500 kg draw weight machine, isn’t it, more or less, a larger version of your slingshot cannon. This is a good chance to use block and tackle technique to pull back the slider. ;) Would be a lot of fun to see it in real some day.

Trebuchet Siege Artillery - Battle Castle with Dan Snow
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR26RMI9T8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR26RMI9T8c[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I mentioned trebuchets already. They don't shoot. They lob. Not the right weapon to smash in the city gates, more like raining stones from the sky.

11. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

The trebuchet is used like a mortar, the projectile follows a ballistic path, hitting the target from the top.
    A cannon/crossbow/bow/slingshot/atlatl/whatever hits in the front of the target.
    Both do extreme damage, effectivity depends on the target(buildings/army/small groups)

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I have a myth, towsnbn has actually made a slingshot. I think it would be busted like his silly lil 'apocalypse kopesh' on a piece of 2x4;).

Another myth, ssb hates shinny slingshots and doesn't steal.

13. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I just found something slingshot related for Mythbusters! It's cold in Minnesota and I bruised myself getting hit by a chairlift down hill skiing on Thursday. So much for the benefits of getting outdoors! My wife is away scrapbooking so I've been splitting my time between reading, internet, and watching Malcolm in the Middle. In Season 2 Episode 2 "Halloween Approximately", the boys build a giant rooftop slingshot like the one from the Amazing Race's famous RTS incident. It's a frame mounted frat-boy water balloon shooter with garden hose sized surgical tubing and a gallon funnel for a pouch. There are two strands of surgical tubing per side. They are shooting mostly gallon ziplock bags filled with various vile sludge mixtures. It is claimed to have a range of over 2 blocks.

Can this device throw ~8lbs (1 gallon H20) ~322 meters*? Accurately enough to hit a stationary person? This would be a hard one to test since it requires an open space about 3.5 football fields in length. Could Jamie and Adam nail Buster with this contraption at the abandoned air strip? :) Just how far could they fire it using their wacky brand of over-engineering? The only issue I see is they seem to focus on pneumatics and explosives, rather than elastics.

*2 city blocks is around 2/10ths of a mile, about 322 meters.

14. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

7 Meters 500kg Draw?

Honestly? That sounds like a project "Theraband" itself should be glad to sponsor! With your publicity? Ever thought of asking them? :D

15. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I tried to talk to them, but they wouldn't reply. I think they want nothing to do with the slingshot world, probably because of the liability issues.

16. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

It does kinda make sense though that they wouldn't get into the slingshot world. They want their name to remain in the medical and sporting field. However were it not for the slingshot community I doubt the actual bands would sell as seems most people for some strange reason prefer the tube style. Until I saw Jorg use the actual bands I assumed tubes were better for reliability though I had never made home made ss I used Thera tubes for my store bought slingshots as replacement bands as my old crappy crosmans bands finally gave out and all I had was a piece of theraband blue tube from an old injury my dr made me use a bit to strengthen my arm after tearing my rotator cup it seemed to work much better than the standard surgical tubing used on most conventional storebought slingshots. I'm interested to see how theraband gold works for me as thanks to a few suggestions I ordered 4 5' rolls from eBay and can't wait for it to get here.