I wish I had more E-time

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buckshot500, Jan 22, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I am enjoying this forum so much, I have no time to do much else on the web.

I barely check my facebook once a day now.

My Jeep friends are probably wondering if I got lost or stuck somewhere in a mud pit.

Been looking at some old threads on the forum and learning a lot of neat tricks. I can tell I haven't even scratched the surface yet of the knowledge I will gain by joining this family.

I find myself in the company of some highly skilled craftsmen (and women too), along with excellent marksmen.

I'm sure I will find many other commonalities as well.

Cheers, Paul :)

2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Right with you man. And jeep friends. Me and my friend are rebuilding a jeep right know. Cool stuff even though I don't know any of what he is talking about cj tj yj an jk

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

The addiction spreads...

-Wild Bill

4. buckshot500

I have had my YJ for close to 10 years and my XJ for about 3 years now. Used to be mostly into Mopar Muscle cars and have owned a few Dusters a Demon and a Road Runner.

My slingshot addiction began in 1973 although it seems to be stronger now than ever.

5. WildBill

See? It's spreading through greater infection. Muhahahahaha!!!!

-Wild Bill

6. buckshot500

Yes it is! Up until a few weeks ago it had gone into remission. Now the onslaught of this disease is so thorough, my immune system can't keep up. I may need to raise my blood alcohol level to keep from being overrun.;)

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Im right with you on that!

No more Facebook account, no more VW forums, no more falconry forums. Its far too positive here to bother with the rest of that negative stuff :)

8. buckshot500

You know, it is one thing to be a master craftsman. It takes a lifetime of work to reach the skill levels of many of the members on this forum. Each fork I see, to me is a work of art as well.

Maybe all the different jobs and hobbies I have done, made me have a keen eye, to recognize this is what I'm seeing here and it takes a craftsman to know a craftsman.

All that aside I'd like to mention that not every craftsman can also be an accurate marksman.
    It takes practice and dedication along with strong will to make a great shot every time.

It's really nice that I have found some place like this, to share a passion that has been with me in some form for 40 years.

And to find all this along with "The politeness rule" is truly perfect.:)

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Glad to hear you are enjoying the forum so much! I know it is my favorite place, and everyone here feels like close friends.
    I agree, the 'golden rule' here is perfect. A place online that is nearly devoid of rudeness?? That's like trying to find hen's teeth! But we've got it here!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

+1 to everything said here - except the Falconry forums, I never did make it to one of those :) This remains one of the only places I go online. I hate FB and the couple of other forums I belong to just aren't a pleasant place to hang out. We've got a large firearms forum that covers my area of the country, but it's populated with arrogant blowhards who like to tell everyone how much more they know about something than someone else. If a newbie shows up to ask questions, they shoot them down (pun intended) and tell them they're idiots for not doing their own research. I've gone after these morons more than once, letting them know they're driving the newbies away from the sport/pastime, but they don't seem to care. This is a far better place to hang out. Some really great folks that I do consider friends and the bonus is learning some new skills as well as admiring the work of great craftspeople. Yep, most of the E time I have available goes here, not really worth going someplace else.

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

You are missing nothing with the falconry forums, I have never been anywhere as bitter and unpleasant.

Erm, what does the E in E-time mean? :eek:

12. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I just read the word JEEP!!! I'm a long time lover of jeeps, but mostly the CJs. I have two '80 CJ7s. One is completely stripped down to the frame with the intention of a ground-up resto and the other is a true "Heep-a-Jeep" woods buggy but with a strong 304 V8, 4 speed and a Scout 44 posi rear axle. They are great fun, but mine is nowhere near road worthy or legal... :eek:

13. buckshot500

I have been on many forums, I even moderate and admin of 2 offroading forums which are full of good folks, but this one I can tell is very different and I like it a lot.

I know exactly what you mean about some firearms people. I had asked a question about why a Mosin-Nagant bolt has to be manhandled and I got schooled on how i should try googling and learn how to polish the chamber properly with a fire-formed case and some flitz polish. Made me want to go back to reading gun magazines for info.

I used to be a muscle car guy. I ended up buying a Dodge Ramcharger and sold it after a few years. Then one day I got bit by the jeep bug and had to have a YJ. had that for many years and still do. Then i saw a sweet XJ one day and the hunt was on. Lots of good info on modifications on the web but you have to sift through it all.

This is my 1990 YJ (yes that's my wife) and my 1998 XJ

Attached Files:

14. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Good 'shot on the rocks!' I used to subscribe to JP magazine which used to have a bunch of great info and build tips for the CJs but I let the 'scription run out when they moved onto mostly just newer models. No offense intended, but us round headlight guys were always irritated with Chrysler's fumbling up AMC's babys. We refer to them as "Wronglers" until you work out all their factory faults. One of the worst would be that ridiculous slip yoke in the transfer case instead of the rear drive shaft. I'm sure you know the issues though that can be corrected to make them totally capable.

15. buckshot500

Ironically it was the square headlights i fell in love with. both my jeeps still have the slip yolk T-case, but I'm gonna get that changed out as soon as I can. i found that the boxed frame is much stronger than a CJ's open channel frame.

i have a ton of junkyard mods on the YJ, too many to list. I am planning to lift it soon too. Probably do a one ton Chevy complete drivetrain including a 350.

16. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Now your talking with the Chevy swaps, that's the fixins for a real beast and always lots of boneyard parts available too! Keep on wheelin' brother!

17. buckshot500

I'd rather have a Mopar doner vehicle, but parts are scarce and overpriced.

18. WildBill

The only vehicle I've owned that was Jeepish was an old, '51 Korean war vintage Willys that Myself and some friends converted into... of all things... a huge slingshot. We drove it onto an Indian reservation, played stupid with it for almost two weeks, and then, after rolling it down a sizable cliff, left it for dead. But I have always had a strong liking for the Grand Cherokee of the mid '70's vintage. I've never owned one, but I would like to find one and restore it sometime in the future.

-Wild Bill