I really need a decent belt sander...

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's it, just had to say it. Frustration with some recent builds would have been lessened if I had a decent belt sander - as it is, I have a handheld model, but the sanding surface is just too small.

Time to start poking around the second hand stores and pawn shops I guess. No chances a magical windstorm is going to drop one in my lap like they do in Nebraska ;)

Just curious folks - if I do track one down in the future, is there a particular size that seems to be the minimum for working with slingshots? Just looking for your suggestions.

2. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

I don't know about particular size (they actually all are the same size here, and it is way too heavy to look at internet shops)

I have a Scheppach BTS-800 and it is fine with what I have to work with :)

3. CEZ

CEZ New Member

If you have a spare motor lying around you could build one.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1j0hbz8SwA[/ame]

4. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I use the combo disk/belt sander from Harbor Freight Tools. 36" belt. I modified it a bit. It's not fancy like Dolo's RIGID but it works fine for me. If you watch for the coupons combined with a sale it gets down in the $65 range two or three times a year. In fact, it is part of their black Friday week special over here.

5. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

+1 on this. Cool thing! It's a belt/ disk combination aswell, isn't it?

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well, since BF is just around the corner, I'll have to watch for that!

7. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/ridgid-eb4424-spindle-sander-converts-benchtop-belt-sander-assembly/

I've got this one and love it. The spindle is great for making finger scallops in the grip, free hand, and sanding tight radii. Waited for it to go on sale at Home Depo for $199. Very well reviewed and so far I love it. As with most sanders, D.C. sucks, or more correctly doesn't suck, but I rigged up a 4" hose from my D.C. that clamps to the table and works O.K. Might make a shroud at some point. Pretty light and portable too. I have a 6x48 horizontal belt sander and a 12" vertical disk sander too. I think the Rigid is one of those units that is a good all around machine that does what the others do just in a smaller combo package.

8. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

It is indeed :)

9. TheDaddy187

TheDaddy187 Administrator

belt sander??? whats that? my builds are all made using elbow grease and hand tools minus a dremel i only recently got...

a question: is elbow grease good for a finish on slingshots?? :p

10. Jack739

Jack739 Gun-'Slinger'

11. Whittler

Whittler New Member

I totally agree with Bert on this one. I have the same setup. I wish I had the money for separate machines, but for only having one machine it has been an absolute elbow grease saver. I only use the belt sander for material removal. I like to freehand shape my forks and the spindle sander is an absolute dream for that. As for finish sanding, I do it all by hand.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yep. For me, it's all about saving time. Rough shaping and preparing flat surfaces for things like laminations can certainly be done by hand, but with limited build time, it's nice to shave off 30 minutes here, an hour there. It means I can spend more time on the fine tuning and finish.

13. Dodge

Dodge Fulltime hobbyist

I built my sander/grinder. I say grinder because its made to use on steel but it works for everything else :) It runs a 2" x 72" belt and can pivot horizontally as well as vertically (as shown) Its hard to see in the pic, but it aso has a ceramic platen between the top and bottom wheel. The tool rest wasn't complete when I took this pic....

Scott

Attached Files:

14. Dodge

Dodge Fulltime hobbyist

Horizontal mode:

Attached Files:

15. TheDaddy187

My setup
    Horizontal mode
    [​IMG]
    Vertical mode
    [​IMG]

16. TheDaddy187

17. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I have a cheap and nasty Rockwell combo sander similar to the Scheppach one Gniaffron has, works ok for what I use it for but it is limited, I really want a spindle sander though. If I could get the Rigid one Dolo has her in Aus I would in a heartbeat.

18. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Thanks for a good laugh TheDaddy.

19. Whittler

Whittler New Member

I would like to build a similar setup. A 2" flexible belt has a lot of use for slingshots and blades. I have a question, what did you use for the free wheels on that rig. I have been designing something similar but finding the right idler pulleys has been difficult for me. Or better yet, can I get a copy of those plans? You did it right and it's way worth duplicating.
    Thank you for the response, Dave

20. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator