I noticed a few of y'all interested in bladesmithing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrPio, May 17, 2013.

1. BrPio

BrPio .

Well, as some of you know one of my main professions is bladsmithing. I thought y'all may be interested in seeing a few pics of a sword I was working on. All my blades are fully working, not decoration. I refine and fold my own steels, as well as clay harden and temper when the style calls for it. This one has a double cloud and river temper line, copper fittings, steel tsuba, natural oak saya/scabbard, and metal 2minuki/ pins. Now, just got to figure out how to attach a slingshot to one.:D swords 007.jpg

swords 004.jpg

swords 002.jpg

sword 002.jpg

sword 001.jpg

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow, that is great!! I work with various steels and exotic alloys for a living (I'm a pipefitter/welder). What kind of metals are you working with? Carbon content, etc? Sorry for the questions, I've just long been fascinated by the smithing arts.

3. BrPio

BrPio .

I don't mind questions. This one was scrap 1057 carbon steel (I was in a hurry to make it). When not in a hurry I start with A36 and iron ore I collect, I know how to add carbon into the metal by the forge. So with those ones I could not say an exact number for carbon, I just watch the shape and amount of sparks to know when the carbon is right. Also on occation I try out alloys like JS24, 440c, vanadium, tool steel they all made good blades. However, once I got ahold of some titanium and the knife broke when it hit a piece of oak.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thanks! Yeah, titanium is a strange metal. Its similar to aluminum in some regards. It doesn't like to be heated up and then cooled. I'm surprised that tool steel held up, I've found it to be very brittle (but takes an amazing edge). Ever played with some of the stainless alloys? 317 and up?

Ok...you already answered that with the 440c. Sorry.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I also might be able to obtain some ray skin for your handles, if you are ever interested. Completely natural, not some knock-off crap. I actually catch a lot of rays.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I would also really like to know how you learned smithing, and a hundred other questions too. I'm just fascinated by the art behind bladecraft. Thanks again for posting pictures of your work too, a truly lost art.

7. BrPio

BrPio .

I'd like to say, with the tool steel, the trick I found out was to harden the steel is to heat it to only a low red and cool it in a mild hot solution of 1/2 salt and water. How I learned was some from my dad, grandpa (on both mom and dad's side), a lot on my own from testing and practice, and some from monks. Oh, and on a side note, the Japanese styles are but a small few of what I do. My favorites are a heavy 10lbs barbarian that I use and the short dao in my avatar pic, both folded steel (containing iron fragments from the Church of the Tomb of the Holy Seplucre), clay tempered, and can cut through store bought machete. sword2 002.jpg

8. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Impressive, Really great Work! The Japanese looks great but the babarian and the Short Dao are my favorite <3 I like Big Blades ^.^
    The method of the Hammershot Takedown has worked quite well for me in order to fix the Fork. I can hardly wait to see your Sling Sword :D

9. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Wow, great work.
    I got some Japanese white paper steel here waiting for the fire.
    But in Germany you can not longer buy borax as a privat person :mad:
    Zwillie

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice blades!

11. Schultz

Schultz New Member

And for the babarian I think you can do it like the picture, build a wide full steel fork and drill a hole through fork and handle, then you can easily fix it with a pin and if it is wide enough it should work, with the Steel handle.

Attached Files:

12. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

Great work! Side note to BrPio, would love to have that blade any interest in selling or trading? I am getting rid of some of my firearms if interested ;)

13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That is amazing work. Its very cool that these ancient art forms of weaponry are alive and well.

A trio of long blade, short blade sword, and a steel frame ss all done up in matching handles would look very cool together.

Thanks for showing these off.

14. BrPio

BrPio .

Thanks y'all for the comments. And Mr. Slagskimmer Mike, I was thinking of that matching idea. Future project.

Last edited: May 19, 2013