I need help.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by greenevegiebeast, Jul 27, 2013.

1. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Yes my psychologist approves.
    On a serious note. I'm a 42 year old exmechinic. My body is falling apart. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. If you don't know that is, basically I hurt all the time. I keep going. But, I still wanna shoot.

Now to where you as a group can help. On bad days regular slings hurt my arms . I'm able to tolerate a lot but I'm looking for a simple design to reduce the pain levels. I cannot throw knives as much due to the muscle and nerve pain. I realy want to continue this hobby.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am glad that you are determined not to let it stop you however. I am not sure of your location, but if it is legal, a wrist brace slingshot would reduce force on the wrist and hands, and with light bands may make your hobby more comfortable. You may also want to research crossbows.
    Best of luck and I hope we can help you continue shooting.

3. greenevegiebeast

I'm in Texas. Where men are men and cows are nervous.

Fyi. For some stupid reason cross bows are legal. But you have to have a special permit to hunt wwith them.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well, I'm sure that a wrist brace shooter is legal there (its about the only thing legal in California). You may be able to apply for the permit to crossbow hunt, if that is your thing.

5. greenevegiebeast

The cocking of said cross bow is what worries me.

6. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Sorry to hear about your desease. I really like a small ammo size. Shooting BB's is a lot of fun and you can use a very light bandset like single TBB.

7. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

GVB, Sorry to hear about your pain and difficulty. I honestly don't know of any slingshot design that will help reduce pain levels.

You might have to contact a few people and just talk to them about their designs and maybe what they can do for YOU specifically.

Nathan Masters (Simple-Shot Shooting Sports) has an interesting design called a Hare Splitter.

[ame]http://youtu.be/2EKsZ_6egLc[/ame]

You will hear in the video above that Mr Masters says that this ergo design works more with the skeletal structure of the body rather than depend on muscle and ligature of the wrist. Those will be 'custom' and anything custom can quickly add.

There is also Jack Koehler, aka King Cat (Wisconsin, USA). He's a slingshot author and designed the King Cat Slingshot. It was designed for competition. It's adjustable and wrist-brace supported. Not inexpensive either, but well-made I think. Very different than traditional straight-up slingshots. You can find the information here, plus his contact info:

Jack's Website

If I think of anything else, I'll give a shout-out.

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

They make several top end models that can be cocked with a simple battery drill. It seems like a perfect design for your situation

9. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I'm sorry to hear from the Diagnosis and your Pain :(
    Maybe you can wear a leather Glove and arm protection for Archers.

10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Check this out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjCY2kGyfI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjCY2kGyfI[/ame]

11. greenevegiebeast

As I said it runs in the family as my sister puts it [email protected]$^& genes. Any way I still work a 10-12 hr shift. On my feet the wholee time. I'm not dead yet. But I have learned to live with the pain. I appreciate any input. I'm going to try a arm brace sling first. I'm kinda worried about hand cramps though.

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

With a good arm brace, you can hold the grip of the slingshot very loosely and not risk a hand cramp.
    If this is not good for you, perhaps a 'gloveshot' design would be good. This would transfer the strain that would normally be on the hand/wrist and help disperse it across the larger muscles in the upper forearm and triceps. Much less strain, much less pain (I hope)

13. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

Chained office bands are a possibility for you. You can customise them to the draw weight you want very easily just by adding or taking away bands, and they're cheap and pretty powerful.

You could also look at getting into blowgun shooting, lots of fun and no strain on the muscles.

14. snakewake

snakewake Member

GVB -
    I can empathize with your situation, as I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy (try saying that 3 times fast). It causes similar pain, but in my case only in the hands and feet. I have just joined the forum today, and have only recently ordered my first slingshot. I don't know what challenges I'll have when I begin shooting, if any, but I'll be sure to touch base with you for perhaps some mutual assistance.

15. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi GVB,
    I just saw this thread and i think i can help. When i signed up here i asked Joerg if he had an idea to make a slingshot for my GF. She is born with one hand, the right arm stop +- at the middle of the forearm. Joerg made a drawing for me but i lost it.
    Reading this i thought of it and made a drawing. Here it is...
    [​IMG]
    The axis under the fork have to rotate.
    Hope it will help you.

16. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

a few days ago i saw this vid:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qENFsd5pIDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qENFsd5pIDg[/ame]

17. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

That is an awesome idea Maddy!!!
    Thank you.

18. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

... but needs a bit of filing and sanding, though. i would use other materials like (for instance) target foam for the inside and a longer pipe of other material.

19. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I was thinking the same, other materials but the idea open new perspectives to me for making my GF an effective slingshot. First place on my to-do: Slingshot for Lady tokSick ;)

20. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I find theraband flat bands pull a lot easier than my chained-bands or tubes. If you prefer tubes, I find Trumark's to have the smoothest pull. Avoid gum rubber, it packs a wallop, but my wrists hurt after pulling them for a session. Depending on what motions cause the most pain, you might find a release handy. If you're using light enough bands, light weight office clips (like the ones in the below WalMart link) can be used as a release.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/BAUMGARTENS-Arts-Crafts-Clothesline-30-ft/19311888

There are other release plans on this and the SSF. Charles at the SSF still shoots with bad arthritis, he may have some tips.
    http://slingshotforum.com

Hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013