i made my first slingshot

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jackharley, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jackharley

jackharley New Member

i used theraband gold i have 2 stips on each side that are 20cm long and 2 cm wide but for some reason it isnt as powerfull as everyone says it cant go through a deodarant can but it can go trough i normal can with a hex nut and with stones it can but bearly so it isnt as strong as every one eleses with the same on here is it the ammo i use if i used ball bearing or marbles would it be as powerfull thanks in advance

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Wow, man! I barely understood what you are saying.....you need punctuation!
    Maybe some pictures of it may help understanding!

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

A little more study on bands and tubes will get you up to speed. But in the mean time you probably have too much rubber for your ammo. Re-string with only 1 band on each side. A straight cut 20X2 should throw just fine from the jaw anchor point. If that is still not fast enough for you, Re-cut your bands on a 2cm to1.5cm taper. Hope this helps.
    Happy Shootin'!

4. Flipgun

Translation.

5. jackharley

jackharley New Member

i have autism i cant spell so thanks for making fun of me i have low functoning autism and dislexia so dont please

6. Flipgun

That was not my intent little brother. There are a lot of people on this site who's first language is not English. From time to time native speakers unravel things. That is ALL it was.

7. jackharley

jackharley New Member

i am english i speak perfect english i live in england i have a mental issue called autism whitch mean i have bad behaviour and poor skills in school i have to go to a school that helps me i am english and my only language is english but my spelling is poor so thanks for making me out to be a forener

8. Flipgun

I'm done.

9. Haze

Haze New Member

Noted, Jack. Welcome. Keep trying with different band combinations. The hex nuts and probably the stones have sharp edges so they penetrate better than anything round. Marbles are not likely to penetrate much because they are round, and quite large for what they weigh. If you want to get penetration with something round, it needs to have good weight for its physical size and go fast. Smallish (8mm) round fishing sinkers will do OK. Don't get too hung up on punching a dedorant can. That is fairly tough. It can be done, but the question is whether you are strong enough to pull bands that will launch a slug quick enough to do it.

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Tapering on bands help a lot! Wider at the fork and thinner at the pouch.
    As a foreign, it is very difficult for me to understand english without punctuation. I'm sorry for not knowing about your issues, but it was never my intention to make fun of you. In fact, I'm starting to understand it.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum buddy! I think shortening the bands a little and adding a little taper would help. You may need 9mm or slightly larger steel ammo to penetrate the deodorant can. I believe they are bi-metallic, being so, they are pretty tough. Good thing is they last a while. Don't let the mean texan scare you off, most of us are nice folks.

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Welcome to the forum

J

13. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

gotta get your weight ratio correct. here is the band calculator http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html Joergs band calc should help you, that double thera is probly too much for your ammo, you almost need lead for that amount of rubber lol

also on a side note for the OP, dont take things so personal bro. the whole world may be out to get you and have a laugh at your expense, but NOT HERE. :)

We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Rmoo4m7ZFXI?t=21s[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  14. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Hi Jack ..pls post a picture of you slingshot if you find the time. Also I am from Slovakia and I understood your original post, but still it helps when someone makes it more clear ane believe me he didn't do it to make fun of you or paint you as a foreigner, he wanted to help you reach more people.

I personally think you are not drawing the bands to their extreme if you say its not strong enough (or maybe you want a superstrong ss).

Try tapering them for sure. I made 20cm bands from 2,5 to 1,5 cm in raw length. After attachment the bands where cca 14cm long and from 2,2 cm to 1,7 cm tapered AND it was really strong... round stones I have shot wih it at concrete walls shattered.

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

If you say so.

16. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I think so...based on what he typed and on the fact that I am new so I don't know him or his history. Was I wrong then?

17. jackharley

jackharley New Member

i have realized that the ammo i an using is to light for 2 strips on each side thanks guy i may have autism but i do work on a farm and do that perfectly well it doesnt make me a retard i have to form of it where is only effects my learning nothing eles i am a strong lad with a perfect social life i can deftly pull the bands all the way

18. jackharley

jackharley New Member

19. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Use the calculator Wiggles linked in his post above. As a newb to this Theraband custom catapult stuff I just made strips 1" wide and 20CM long and it's not crazy powerful but I shoot light ammo mostly (iron ore pellets about 1/2" diameter). The real power comes from using heavier steel balls or lead and longer tapered bands for butterfly shooting...then you get up to pellet gun type powers easily.

Using my 1" 20CM bands and .454 caliber lead balls I am able to destroy any can I am able to hit. But with a marble just soda cans are punctured.

Just so you know about 1 in 10 kids here in the USA has some form of Autism so it's not like you have anything to be touchy about. My son has it. I have it. I had it before people knew what to call it. They just thought I was being a day dreaming pain in the ass. Don't let the label pin you down. In the end we are just humans trying to figure it out.

Good luck.

20. dolomite

dolomite Banned

No problem man! Ask us anything, any time. Which style do you use? Sideways or hammergrip? Honestly you sound like you were better off than I was in school,lol. I had a piss poor social life as I was the fat kid, girlies don't usually flock to the rotund;). I grew up with adhd and slight dyslexia so I know how people can be about learning problems.
    cheers