I know I know... board cut yuck

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by knivesgotguns, Oct 27, 2013.

1. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Ok so I came up with this design got it drawn out. It's too late to start but I was to excited I just had to share the design. So what do you think???

Attached Files:

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like the design. How thick is that board? It doesn't look thick enough for this design, unless you're planning on laminating some sheets together. Next step, cut it out and work on the finish, then let us all see the results!

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Yep really like the design loos kinda thin are you using one layer of Thera band yellow butterfly style?;)

J

4. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I share the concerns of others about the thickness of the board...unless of course you plan to reinforce it. Having a boardcut snap on one (and i'm talking inch thick oak) is unnerving and dangerous !

Nice design though. Maybe a metal core ??? :)

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Looks really cool, I think. Do it!

6. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I like to use plywood to get something I can hold in hand and then it's easier to create a truly ergonomic grip that works in favor of your muscles under draw tension. But I don't trust standard ply to withstand much of a load.

Ply sheet goods that you find at the local store are made by peeling a thick veneer off a log on a roller...all flat grain basically...and then crossing the flitches at 90 degrees to gain strength and bonding them using high temperature and pressure and glue. Although the criss cross lamination and glue bonds will add strength almost all commercial ply has dimensional irregularities in the layers of flitches and this leads to voids and there may be areas with very little strength. The best way to know your material is to destroy it somewhat scientifically. See how hard it is to pry a 1" wide strip of the ply apart, take a 6" x 1" strip and flex it and see how hard it is to break, how it breaks, where it breaks and you can learn something about what loads will destroy it.

For any cross section that is wider than it is thick the strongest direction will be on edge. Stack laminating stock on edge also gives you the option for more depth and dimension to your profile...it no longer has to be flat. The down side is the only thing keeping the forks from breaking is the strength of the glue bond and the tear out strength of the wood in the ply.

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice design, i'm looking forward to the finished product!

8. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

The board is 3/4 inch thick red Oak. I've been using it alot. I got the idea for this ss from another ss frame I broke. The only reason it broke was the forks were too narrow, the grain of the wood didnt run all the way through the forks and into the handle and the main problem was I hit the frame with the pellet about 50. Lol. That's why I put the bands on the inside of the forks instead of the outside. I have no concern about failure unless I hit the forks like I did my last one. But even then I payed closer attention to the grain on this one and beefed it up

9. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Im not sure if I'm gonna do butterfly or not. I was playing around with another ss shootin butterfly and I was surprised about how accurate it was. But im going to cut that v notch out and drill a small hole for a sight. Butterfly I just shoot instinctively tho.

10. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Ive been saving all my milk jugs so I can make a hdpe ss. I just need to make a mold and press to make board blanks and I still have to do a little more research.

11. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

In germany we have no problems with plywood quality. Don't understand why it is so hard to get in the US.

12. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Whats butterfly style ? :eek:

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Hi John! if you plug "butterfly shooting into the google at the top of the page, 1 of Joergs videos on the subject is the first thing to come up. But it is basically shooting long lite band for greater velocity.

14. Flipgun

@knivesgotguns
    If you have enough wood to cut out 3 layers, you can cut out the other 2 20-30 degrees to the grain and the last a about 75-80 degrees to the grain and glue the one that runs with the grain in the middle and it should be strong enough. When in doubt err on the side of caution coz eyes don't grow back.:)

15. Moin moin,
    butterfly:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyzYDip9JTM[/ame]

16. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

So I broke down and bought a scroll saw to do this one. 80$ later here it is. It also came with a stand.

Attached Files:

17. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

And heres some pix of my cuts and the thickness of my red oak

Attached Files:

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice! Was that saw used? I'm drooling because I'd love to add one myself. Looks like that board has decent thickness. We'll be waiting for the next update!

19. Flipgun

Okay! That is 2cm Red Oak, I thought it was much thinner. I had some qualms about a piece of that and the Forum assured me it was fine. I made one for Failureisalwaysanoption out of it and I think he still has 2 eyes. Looking forward to the finished shooter.