I couldn't log onto the forum earlier.........

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buckshot500, Jan 11, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

So I set about getting my slingshot fix from Youtube.

I ran across Joerg's "Little accident" video. :eek::(

Looked really painful, and I hope he's okay by now. I was horrified by how hard it hit him, even after the ricochet, it still had a lot of energy left.

So we see how research and development of slingshots can carry a certain amount of risk in that anything can happen when left to chance. Sometimes fate has it's way with you, no matter how much effort is placed on precaution.

I also found it ironic that this happened with a slingshot he was developing from a safety aspect. It was designed to protect the hand from shots leaving the shooter and even a shot that would possibly return and strike the hand.

In reviewing the footage, I can plainly see it was really a freak accident. Not much anyone could foresee. In hindsight though, I can suggest angling the backstop slightly to one side. If the projectile didn't make a dent in the backstop, it might have deflected it farther away from Joerg say off to his left since the camera person was to his right.

Again, I hope you are okay Joerg. I thank you for making all these informative videos, and very much respect your decision to post that video for the rest of us to learn from.

2. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Talking about that one that was a fake that he made? A bit late to the game on that one, but it was fake and he is absolutely fine. :)

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

People didn't watch the "Making Of", and they obviously also ignored the big fat annotation in the original video...

I think the original video was only out there for about 48 hours without the "Making Of" explaining everything. Yet I get lots of messages asking concerned questions to this day.

I think people just WANT to believe in the truth of fail videos more than in the truth of success videos.

4. buckshot500

Well that was some great acting Joerg!

Here is the clip I watched this morning. I didn't see any annotations about it being anything other than a vid about an accident. Now that i read some of the comments below, I can see it was staged.

I certainly didn't want to believe it was real, but had no reason to doubt it's authenticity.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uIyEv07iA[/ame]

5. buckshot500

I wasn't able to find the "Making of" vid, but I would like to see it.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5HUS8dLN0[/ame]

The number of my friends that said 'that slingshot guy isnt as good as you said' after the vid went viral was hilarious. Amazing what MS paint can be used for!

7. buckshot500

Thanks for posting this VW scooby!

I really like the explanation of the way Joerg edited it all into place.

I also like how he points out the same thing I was trying to describe about ricochet angles.

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, I guess that is what happens if YouTube imposes an age restriction on a popular video. People steal it and repost it. This way I didn't make a dime on it, it all went to the criminals. Plus people never saw my annotations.

Go figure.

9. buckshot500

Well I'm just glad to hear you didn't have to really go through that painful looking ordeal. I've been hit in the head with a few things over the years and know it's not much fun.