hunting

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by brennanfry, Jan 20, 2014.

1. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

i am looking for a good band and ammo combination for rabbit and squirrel

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Hunting you usually would use lead I think, it's easy to cast and hits hard. I don't really do anything but target shooting but if I did I'd use my lead cast pellets

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Depends on weight of ammo, draw length, distance you will be hunting at etc. Also can you hit something the size of a 10c piece each time without fail at your chosen distance? If not, hunting probably isnt for you.

4. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

the thing is i am just getting into hunting with a sling shot do you have a good beginner band set

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

You're right, I guess when you're shooting something as little as rabbits & squirrels it doesn't matter what your shooting you could probably kill them with anything marshmallows, as long as you hit them

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

The thing is quarry demands respect. Many, many hours of target shooting should be done before you even think about hunting. Even then I don't think slingshot are the best for hunting, unless you are Gamekeeper John, and I've carried out pest control professionally for years so that's my professional opinion.

7. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

than what are the best bands for a 50.cal lead ball

8. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Again, jörgs band calculator

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

To get this goin´....

Hey!

to get this thread goin´, you should definitely ask Will, Withak, Dolo
    Wildbill and BrazilViking, I´ll help to start it right, too!

For a good start, you should cancel at least two or three meals!-
    a hungry belly is well known to be the best hunter!
    Another good advice is to get some aspirine and a glass of water,
    because hunting (threads) can get you a BAD headache!- For
    those are, according to their names, hunted frequently!

A little question: What are you going to do if that little naughty
    rabbit is only wounded?- Lets say unfortunately you shattered his
    leg, the bleeding stops one time, no sepsis, and that bloody
    little creature refuses dying? -How can we get that creature "out"?

Curious,

Be

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

a fast reload and a folow up shot or aim for the head first

11. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Skoobs is spot on- until you've done plenty of practice and can consistently hit small targets (like soda can tops) at 10 meters or so, hunting should not be on your list of activities. JimRhodo has been running through the 'Newbie Challenge' of practicing and recording results, and I've been doing it as well (except for the last couple of weeks due to my imminent move). Here's a couple of links to the threads involved- I strongly recommend that you master your form before doing any hunting:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f14/improving-accuracy-aim-31890/index7.html#post249923

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/newbie-challenge-methodical-approach-31680/

-Wild Bill

12. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

13. WildBill

Missing meals? MISSING MEALS?!?!? Then how can we post recipes?

-Wild Bill

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Red 5 standing by.....;)

15. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

seems to me you are just learning slingshot stuff isn't it ? if so train yourself at least for a year before maiming animals, animals are not targets for practice, bad shoots wounds and don't kill instantly or kills after a long suffering. I have to deal with rabbits, not for fun (pest control) and didn't try until I was sure to place a good "head shot", bottle caps are the target to train AT DIFFERENT DISTANCES if you want to do an "humane kill" (if killing can be called so) be sure to hit bottle caps at once ...
    cheers

16. WildBill

Lock X foils in attack position.

-Wild Bill

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Like Scoobs said earlier, if you can't hit a beer cap from what ever distance you're gonna shoot every time, you got no business trying to hunt. Be is right as well about skipping a couple meals, that's how wild animals do it. Respect is necessary as well, don't just go out blasting whatever you see, there's responsibility to a clean kill. Not sure I'll ever understand hunting for fun with a slingshot, there's nearly always a better tool. Hope you plan on eating said rabbits and squirrels. And make sure they're not rastabell rabbits or you could have a pissed off magician after you for it. The squirrel comment is bothersome though as most people don't like the taste and, once again this points to a deeper issue, namely the desire to kill. For bands, I would recommend Slayer, Machinehead, Damageplan, or if you're into retro, Def Leopard, Iron Maiden, Lizzy Borden are all good choices for good bands. I love the Beatles, but that's a bit too sophisticated for the youth these days. Basically nearly any band will do, but remember that dubstep is bad for you. If you've seen Key and Peele, you'd know that dubstep can cause nosebleeds and teeth falling out followed by unreasonably jumping out a window. This also brings to mind a joke. Why did the rabbit cross the road? It didn't get that far because someone killed it;). Also watch out for flying squirrels, some have silly moose for friend, moose can be very dangerous especially when trying to do magic tricks.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  18. WildBill

Great band recommendations, Dolo. Also, let's add in a good measure of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors and The Steve Miller Band.

-Wild Bill

19. WildBill

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ[/ame]

-Wild Bill