Hunting idea.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Iinventedthestickshot, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Iinventedthestickshot

Iinventedthestickshot New Member

Hey folks. Thinking recently about hunting and tracking in particular, I wondered if the slingshot has a particular advantage over some other weapons, in that it can shoot tubes ... we've seen TMJ shoot plenty of straight projectiles with the things, and I can't think why shooting tubes would be impossible. The idea would be to make an animal bleed out very quickly; not only can it be done in minutes, but it would be very easy to track, and relatively painless for the animal. Food for thought ... about food, and thinking about it ... hang on ... :confused:

2. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

It is illegal hunting and fishing with bow slingshot slingbow here.... It is also illegal when you have no licence in germany. And then you must have a weapon and licence for the weapon for hunting here.

3. Iinventedthestickshot

Oh yes, it would certainly be very questionable in most places; but I was just wondering if anyone can see any problems/benefits.

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

do you think it would let bleed out the animal much faster than shooting arrows with automatically opened (razorblade) broadheads on impact?

5. Iinventedthestickshot

Potentially, yes. Internal bleeding, which is what you get from most arrow heads, and why they make broad-heads (also to create a gaping wound when/if it gets pulled out) is always restricted by the surrounding tissue/skin etc. Not to mention the fluids that slow the process down. If you have a tube with barbs on (to keep it in) and maybe some kind of broad-head at the tip; then have a load of holes up the shaft too, it could certainly bleed out a lot quicker. This is why they slit a throat to put an animal down, instead of shooting it with an arrow. The blood flows to the area of least resistance.

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i've seen the exit wounds the arrow heads i mean create on hunted deer's. these animals couldn't run very far before they fell to the ground. i would combine both ideas to let them not suffer. for survival situations only of course.

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

fur? sinew for bow? grease for candles? bone for knives or fishing hooks? ...

8. Iinventedthestickshot

That's true isn't it, they often (if not usually) go straight through the animal; I don't bow hunt myself ... might not make such a difference after all ... hmmm

9. Iinventedthestickshot

hahaha, you've been watching my channel ...:eek:

10. A sling-crossbow designed to shoot barbed tubular projectiles with expanding "razor" heads would most likely make a very good hunting weapon.

My theory is that a compact crossbow design, utilizing rollers, would be highly maniable whilst offering increased accuracy and allowing the use of longer, heavier ammunition (think 20 cm of steel pipe with an expanding arrow-head attached to it) with increased wounding potential.

Whether this theory is feasible in real-life is another question...

11. ABH1

ABH1 Member

not a bad idea, perhaps if you make the tube really sharp in the top, and its well hollow but heavy and you shoot it with an appropiate heavy-banded launcher it will not only be potentially lethal, but it may also have considerably less air ressistence as the air will pass through inside the tube and combined with the inertia could be an exciting amunition, that, a watermelon and a block of balistic gelatine could be a cool episode of the slingshot channel don't you think?

12. Iinventedthestickshot

That's basically what I had in mind. And yes, very much the point of this thread ...

13. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

keep in mind what jörg was always trying to hammer in our heads? it has to be front heavy! :D

14. Iinventedthestickshot

That's the right idea ... but it just occurred to me, the tube might fill up and simply block circulation; it would definitely have to have some type of head on it, so it can create an air space ... just enough to start a flow of pressure.

15. Iinventedthestickshot

I think if he wanted to hammer our heads, it would be hard for us to stop him!!!!

16. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

a tube with holes every few centimeters and open on the back?

17. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

was not sure if this saying exists in english too? ... (hammering thoughts into someones head)

18. Iinventedthestickshot

Yep; with a flight stabilizer and a head.
    Yes it does, and it's a good one. Where are you from? (if that's ok)

19. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

austria/vienna

20. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I don't want to talk about hunting....but I want to talk about bleeding and pain........ What was your source of research to make the conclusion that bleeding doesn't hurt?
    Ok.....maybe I just don't agree with hunting at all, but I think that if you don't make an instant kill, you are causing imense suffering to any animal (human or not:confused:).
    Hipovolemic chock (a lot of bleeding) causes taquicardia, thirst, agitation, seizures, cramps, dizziness....... That can be a hell of a suffering in just a few seconds. I know people who got shot and got nearly dead by bleeding and managed to survive. They told me that the suffering was unbelievable, and secons seemed like years.

Is that hunting really necessary? Can't you buy some food instead of killing for it?
    I have a hunting /killing instinct in me too, but I'll not make use of it untill it is REALLY necessary. Think about it. :D