Hunting Geese With Slingshot

Discussion in 'Laws and Regulations' started by Bighaze51, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

I live in South Carolina and have a goose problem. I have all the tags and permits to kill them ( and eat them too) but i was told I can't use a slingshot. Everyone says you can only use a shotgun but that isnt what the Federal Migratory Waterfowl brochure says. It states

Illegal hunting methods. You cannot hunt waterfowl:
    • With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10-gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance.

So why can't I use a slingshot? Am I missing something? By the way, if you don't know what a punt gun is, look it up on YouTube. I need one of those.

2. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

There were lasso, bolo, blowguns, crossbows, bows and thrown arrows used for hunting in many cultures. Windguns (strong airguns) were constructed for hunting birds.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i think it because a slingshot is a lot less fail-proof in the hands of an untrained individual.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

You're reading federal law when it'd be a state law regarding legal methods of take for SC. Cali is the same. BTW, you have the real USC, ours is hollywood fake. Go Gamecocks!

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

If it doesn't makes an instant kill, then you are causing suffering and mistreating a living being. I don't care about details of the law.
    It is cruel and disgusting. What's up with this necessity of killing things? I manage my reprssed anger and frustrations on fighting practice. Works better for me.

6. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I also don't like to kill my friend (specially the birds as others do for fun, nice singing creatures), but from time to time I need to kill a rabbit that destroys our garden (moreover we live in a desert area and our few flowers takes much effort) that gives my garden relief for a month more or less, rabbits are territorial, BUT I always kill them with a instant dead HEAD SHOOT (that's why I train so much with the bottles tops) and of course we eat them, me and my wife don't like to take pictures and publish, even it is a destructive creature it deserves respect much more when it is dead ... a very difficult choice, I always feel bad when I do it, that said to point I am not a hunter and don't like to be one ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. Bighaze51

I'm only going for head shots. It's not my intention to be cruel injure anything. It's my intention to go for a swift kill with no suffering and then I'm going to eat it. We've tried various non-lethal ways to get the geese to leave and it's not worked. And also, my wife just lost her job and we are starting to hurt for money. If I can provide an extra meal for me and my family that isn't pumped full of steroids and forced to live in awful conditions, that's exactly what I'm going to do

8. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

As a kid you always find hunting cruel and it's everywhere I was watching a program and then they shot a pig with an arrow and bow in the stomach and then it didn't die instantly so it ran 10 meters and died very cruel :( a tribe ( they sort of have to :/ )

J

9. Arturo Borquez

I believe you have a tough problem, killing one or two will not fright them, they are gregarious creatures and usually nest and lives in flocks ... they will return ... as for eating and helping your family I have no problems if it's needed ... there is a big controversy which meat is healthier, wild natural or "factory" produced with hormones and some nasty feeds we don't know ... I must add that's the reason I am "mainly vegetarian" the few meat I eat are free living fishes or the rabbits, many years I left the cows and supermarket chickens ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

10. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

@BV because their meat is delicous and they ruin yards. Not because of hatred.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Slingshots are nearly silent, I question the sacre them away statement. Last I checked, best way to get game animals to scatter is frequent gunshots. Just having some target practice nearby usually gets through to them. theonewhoshallnotbenamed forgets a creature called "dog", these magnificent beasts will scare any bird this side of emu/ostrich.

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

If simply making the geese leave is top-priority, you might look into a propane cannon (its a noise-maker that produces a hell of a bang). Farmers use these to drive off the geese from the fields where I am living.
    I know goose is mighty fine eating, but I don't know that I would try and cull them with a slingshot. Perhaps a high-powered air rifle would be a better choice.

13. Bighaze51

I feel confident that I can make a head shot on one. I've been practicing shooting cans and spray paint lids from 15 yards and nail it 90% of the time. We have a bird banger gun, it's like a bottle rocket flair gun and they have gotten used to it.
    I appologize, I didn't mean for this to turn into an ethics of hunting. I don't kill for sport. But they are a nuisance and make a mess of the place. If I do actually kill one, it will be eaten

14. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

You will need a serious setup. Like double tag and ammo to suite

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

This is mainly a sport forum, hence the lack of a hunting section. There's one on the "other" forum. Ethics aside 90% accuracy isn't good enough, 100% is.

16. Arturo Borquez

I was tempted with the dog idea (they also use to destroy plants), most people here have dogs, and indeed many of the "street" dog hunt rabbits, watching once a 3 dogs hunt literally ripping the poor rabbit in a fight is not a pleasant spectacule and giving the rabbits most of the time escapes, the dogs don't intimidate much theese critters ... my cat can't kill them but she likes targeting them ... helps a bit ... I believe that's all for me about this topic ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

17. Brazilviking

My dog would become friend of the rabbit....she can't kill a fly!:D:D

18. Bighaze51

I sincerely appologize if I offended anyone here. This was not my intention. I've learned a huge amount of knowledge from everyone and greatly appreciate that. I will keep anything hunting related to myself from now on. The last thing I want is to get on anyone's bad side here as I enjoy being a part of this community.

19. Brazilviking

Hey, man! Take it easy! I disagree with hunting as a sport, just that! But seems that you have good reasons.
    His happens almost every time when hunt is a subject considered here. Here in south america geese are no problem.....makes it very hard to understand it as a plague. They don't migrate here....behave as farm ducks......but more agressive.
    But I don't see a great problem at all. Maybe in your place I'd be doing the same! Who knows?

20. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Man I kinda came off like an ass, sorry bighaze, just got a lil nutty;).
    Mr. Arturo, I'd never suggest letting a dog in the garden. Mine has destroyed plenty of things when he got in on accident. I meant dogs to chase the geese, I guess you cant have dogs at work though.