The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In that wonderful box from Cold Steel, I found four of the new "Lance Point" spear heads.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/95MLP/MAA_LANCE_POINT_SPEAR.aspx

Those are really mean. Triangular, hollow ground, sharp, not too heavy (12 oz).

Cold Steel says that they were once used as lances for the cavalry, as they could pierce through armory with ease. It is actually very believable, if you hold one of these in your hands.

Of course the Dragon Slayer would be perfect for it, but that one is already at the museum. Also I wanted to make a "rifle" for it, something that I can freely hold. Like an elephant rifle.

I almost finished the weapon today... 2,30 m barrel length (7,5 ft). Not unlike my Toilet Brush Sniper rifle, but chambered for 20mm "arrow" shafts, 2,40 m long plus the tip...

The biggest hand held weapon I ever made, with the exception of the bazooka.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I should warn you that hunting threads don't do so well on this forum...

-Wild Bill

·
Hoden
403 Posts
Recipes?

Cut a bun in tow parts, add some catchup and put an elephant of your choice (asian or african) inbetween!

you are crazy!! do it!! build it!! :)

·
Accident-Prone
1,513 Posts
I dunno I think you could hunt elephants with just about any slingshot YOU make:D
Your target should definitely be elephant shaped for this one and covered with some super thick leather/elephant hide.

Actually I think I heard the cold steel guy has killed elephants with the blow gun they sell

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Little known facts:

There is no wild elephant living in the US of A!

and:

Slagskimmer Mike is living there, in the US of A..
removing barns, with his slingshot,
using 10 shots each..

Is this a coincidence?

To be true: I paid him a lot of money to NOT move to Africa,
where dem elphant dwell.. and to stick to those barns..

Be- cause: I like da elephant!

:)

wildlife protecting regards,

Be

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Who said 'hunting'?! Threadjacker Withak standing by with tasty recipes :D

As for those spears, I'm very interested in seeing them weaponized in the style of Joerg via Castle Badass. Yes, this will be yet another fun creation. I am sorry the Smaug Ballista isn't currently available for this round of testing, these would have been perfect - if only there were flying elephants in Germany.

·
Thread Hijacker
3,375 Posts
Threadjacker Will, reporting for duty! Recipes are locked and loaded, sir.
Honestly, that opening volley between Jörg and Wild Bill was absolutely classic. I about broke my thumbs in my haste to say the same thing!
This projectile does look truly mean, and I'm looking forward to seeing your shooter in action!

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
Nice idea and thanks to all of you for the laugh.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was wandering around on the web and there's a guy who shot a grizzly bear with a slingbow and killed it. I'm fairly sure that guy has more guts than brains. You'd have to be SURE you could hit what you aimed at or that grizzly's gonna explain your mistake to you personally.

·
Thread Hijacker
3,375 Posts
[WiE=zurk021414;273382]I was wandering around on the web and there's a guy who shot a grizzly bear with a slingbow and killed it. I'm fairly sure that guy has more guts than brains. You'd have to be SURE you could hit what you aimed at or that grizzly's gonna explain your mistake to you personally.[/QUOTE]

With a slingbow even? I don't know...and I'm not calling BS on you, but possibly his claim. I've heard stories of grizzlies administering fatal damage to the foolish after their heart had been shot out a full 300 yards prior with rifles that would cut any of us in half. If I may say so, without bragging, I shoot a very powerful compound bow. And I hit whatever I aim at with a 400 grain arrow, at 330 FPS. However, I'm not sure at all that even this bow could drop a grizzly, reliably. Is there a slingbow that throws an arrow this heavy that travels that fast, every time? Perhaps Ruthie has made one, this wouldn't surprise me. She loves launching anti-aircraft sized arrows:D
However, I do doubt it.
I would sooner go after a Cape Buffalo with my knife than I would loose an arrow at a grizzly with a slingbow. I may indeed be crazy, but stupid...no, I am not.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me, this issue is easy. I really do not enjoy hunting, and would never shoot at a living creature for fun. Even killing a mouse that was brought in by the cats, half dead, gives me nightmares.

In self defense, however, I'd use whatever I have. A slingbow against a charging bear won't likely be effective. But it sure is better than nothing at all. From what I have heard, you can neither outrun a bear, and he will follow you onto a tree too.

·
ruthiexxxx
1,005 Posts
I was wandering around on the web and there's a guy who shot a grizzly bear with a slingbow and killed it. I'm fairly sure that guy has more guts than brains. You'd have to be SURE you could hit what you aimed at or that grizzly's gonna explain your mistake to you personally.
I think you must be talking about Chief AJ ...a wonderful character and most entertaining. Well worth watching his videos on You Tube. (He sells his slingbows too!)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Will said:
With a slingbow even? I don't know...and I'm not calling BS on you, but possibly his claim.

Fred Bear was one of my heroes growing up. He believed that bow and arrow could take every large game animal that a rifle could. As far as I know, and remember this is in the past...with a bit different attitude as far as exotic animals went - of course, they weren't as habitat restricted back then; he hunted and killed at least one of every large and dangerous game animal in the world, with a bow and arrow.

I didn't disbelieve the grizzly guy, because it is possible, but on the other hand...I ain't gonna do it. Bear lets me alone...I'll leave him alone.

"Go afield with good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person" - Fred Bear

·
Registered
415 Posts
ruthiexxx said:

I think you must be talking about Chief AJ ...a wonderful character and most entertaining. Well worth watching his videos on You Tube. (He sells his slingbows too!)
Yeah!! Until you said that, I couldn't think of who it was...it was on his web site, but I don't remember if it was him or someone who had just posted the picture. Do you happen to know if he's slinging BS? Sound like you're a bit more familiar with him.

·
ruthiexxxx
1,005 Posts
ruthiexxx said:

Yeah!! Until you said that, I couldn't think of who it was...it was on his web site, but I don't remember if it was him or someone who had just posted the picture. Do you happen to know if he's slinging BS? Sound like you're a bit more familiar with him.
He's a lovely guy. I'd trust what he says. Here's a vid of him taking a deer or two with his slingbow. http://youtu.be/IXvXJPyRqo0

I believe he took the bear with his 'Elkhunter' model. He uses either my beloved Theratube Silver or the lightest grade of speargun rubber (which I want to try next :D

However I am totally of Joerg's mind when it comes to hunting (and self-defence for that matter). But one must admire the guts of a guy that could deliberately confront a grizzly bear

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks, ruthie for the clarification.

Joerg said:

I really do not enjoy hunting, and would never shoot at a living creature for fun.
Not my intention to try to convert anyone to hunting, but it is so difficult to express what hunting does mean. It's meat on the table, it's utilizing a skill set that is extremely valuable, it gets you into the woods, swamps, and mountains. I guess for my family, the meat paid to allow you the time to get into the woods and partake of everything it had to give. You couldn't justify taking the time to hunt with no return. My father was born at home, and some parts of the US used to be 20 to 30 years behind the rest of the country (sometimes it seemed like a hundred). What I'm clumsily trying to say is that maybe 3 generations back...for us, if you didn't hunt, you didn't eat well at all. I had a great uncle who lived in the area my family is from...he only got more than a hundred miles from where he was born...once. I joshed with Whittler about hillbillies...different set of hills but the same hollers and hilltops.

·
ruthiexxxx
1,005 Posts
I should add that I have no argument with any meat eater who hunts to eat. As a prepper I practise with that in mind as a last resort. If it is a question of survival I will kill to eat.

I wanted to say also that Chief AJ has helped our sport quite a lot. I understand that he was instrumental in changing the game laws in his state to have slingbows recognised as an acceptable weapon with which to hunt big game

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks again, ruthie

One of the things that surprised me once I began studying survival...was that long term, you had to have meat. In a typical survival situation, you don't have access to any of the high calory starches and sugars of domesticated plants. In fact one fellow almost starved to death on rabbits, simply because they were so low in fat, and he's expending thousands and thousands of calories hiking, looking for food, etc. If I was a vegan or vegetarian, something that would be in my survival kit would be canned seeds for heirloom varieties (i.e. you can save the seed and replant, as opposed to hybrids) of the favorite fruits and vegetables you like.

Edit; ok, I'm stupid, the wife and I have our favorite heirloom fruits and veggies as well...and we aren't vegetarian or vegan. Grin.

·
ruthiexxxx
1,005 Posts
yes, I read the other day that whereas 90% of animal species are edible for humans only 10% of plant species are. The odds seemed stacked against remaining veggie if the SHTF :(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts