How would you do this?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was experimenting with a quickie slingshot that I could use to launch rotten apples. My daughter came up with a game last year whereby we pick up the rotten pears and apples in our yard at the end of the season and throw them against the fence or trees to make them 'explode'. She loves this game, and I confess, so do I. She calls it "Rotten Apple Smack-A-Bapple". Cute.

I thought it would be fun to try a slingshot launcher. I have a piece of maple with a tall and wide fork that is strong enough for something like this. As a test, I threw on some 107 sterling silver rubber bands I have on hand, then cut out the top of an old baseball had to make a pouch large enough to handle a small to medium apple or pear. I tested it with some small stuffed animals first, just to make sure it would work, which it did. But when I tried to test it with some actual apples, it was a fail. The apples were basically falling out of the pouch once I released them. If they happened to stay engaged in the pouch, it wouldn't go far.

So, ideas? Obviously, I've got some rather heavy ammo, which is a problem to begin with. Are my bands just too weak to accelerate the heavy load before it has a chance to fall out of the pouch? I could always double or triple the bands for a start. BTW, I'm sticking with the 107's just because I don't have a lot of TBG on hand at this point. I could use some engineering expertise here.

Thanks SSC community.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

sounds like lack of power in the bands. btw, we used to have a similar thing when i was in junior high, we called it "salad shooter". It was a tight linked fence that would slice a thrown apple in many peices. speaking of apple and cutting, my trade slingy claimed its third victim today. My wife and i were shooting and after she saw me deliberately hit the side of the can to get it swinging followed by 20+ hits in a row, she asked me to show her the "marble thing". after telling her it may take a while, 1st shot was low and right so i adjusted and drilled it on the 2nd. still haven't done it with any other slingy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Buy a HyperDog ball shooter for about $20, good tubes and a pouch that will hold a grenade.

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I recommend attaching a fork to the end of a long pole, 5 or 6 feet. Then attach a big enough pouch made from normal leather. Make sure to cut a large center hole into the pouch, about 60% of the diameter of your "ammo". This will keep the apples in the pouch.

The long acceleration will compensate for the weak bands, and the contraption is done very quickly.

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I would like to see a picture of your current shooter... But When I built the "PATE-LAUNCHER", I thought about this issues. Stronger rubber, 2 tubes each side. Wide pouch and attach the rubber on the "tip", the square angles of the pouch (upper left and right, down left and right). A central hole might help a lot indeed.

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That is awesome! It sounds like you need to give us all a video of your shooting - after Oct. 1st, of course! I hit the same can twice in a row yesterday. I guess that's a bit of an improvement :)

I like the salad shooter idea, I think that would be even more fun. Unfortunately we don't have any chain link fence in our yard, it's all old wooden fence.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great idea, and I'll take a look. But part of the fun is building it myself :)

That's a good suggestion Joerg. I will have to find the parts to do that, particularly a larger piece of leather, but sounds like a fun idea to try.

Okay, BV. I'll try and get one posted here shortly. It's really nothing more than a classic tree fork with a single band on each side. Listening to what others have said, it sounds like the weaker 107 bands are part of the problem. Stand by for a photo. I need to go back and check out the Pate Launcher video again, I forgot about that one.

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay BV, per your request, here are some photos. You'll see I didn't do any kind of finish on this, it's just a raw tree fork I cut for another project. You'll see it's fairly large, with wide forks, which seemed to me ideal for shooting apples. The big problem with this is that if I put really heavy bands in the same location, the force created by putting the bands up high without any bracing would make it pretty much impossible to shoot. Joerg's idea of bracing it at the end of a pole would certainly fix that. I just don't want to modify this fork too much as I still plan to use it for a different project later. As it is, I put maybe 15 minutes into building this thing. It shows ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Might want to consider mounting forks to a solid object. From there I pretty much agree with everyone else, BIG pouch, more power scotty!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Are you suggesting I need warp speed to accelerate my apples?! I canno do it capn' (Scotty's brogue) Boy, it's really hard to write out a Scottish accent!

I'll consider Joerg's bracing idea, then I could add more to the bands. My biggest problem at the moment is finding a piece of large leather without cutting up something that will get me cut up (by my wife) :eek:

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

ok, cheap fix, try your pouch with BVs attachment style and duck the crap out of the fork to a pole.

I'll see if my camera does good enough vids or try to borrow my ma's vid cam, I saved all the marbles and found one steel ball with a flat spot and glass dust on it so I can at least show you that. gonna get a card reader soon so i'll be able to post pics again.

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i think the shape of you pouch is the problem, have you tried a normal pouch?

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Do you know where I can easily locate BV's attachment style? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that.

I don't doubt that's part of the problem. This was not a planned project, rather one that I threw together quickly to try out before the fall rain started coming down yesterday. I'm still looking around for a suitable pouch material that will be stronger than this.

Maybe I need to remove a pouch from one of my rock slings, or maybe learn to braid one out of paracord, also like one of the rock slings:

[​IMG]

14. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

A wide fork could need a longer handle with a tip on the end as a stand. In midage early muskets (called arkebuse here) had allways a stand.

Why not creating a long walking stick with a fork on the top for shooting apples with high tension?

Hazelnut wood could be a good choice :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Sounds like a great fall sport.

Ive seen pictures of pouches made of duct tape. Might be good for prototyping a shape you like until you get the leather.

The apple-hole will make it much safer also.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes, duct tape is worth a try. I'll have to try the center hole as well. That ammo isn't going to be available forever! Well, at least not until next fall.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This sounds like a good project! Apples make a great noise (and mess) when smashed against things!
    Keep us updated on your progress

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, I found a hollow aluminum pole that I can 'borrow' temporarily for my sling. A few swipes with a knife and the handle dropped right in. So now I've got the forks on the end of a 4' aluminum pole. I started on a duct tape pouch, but the first day of fall brought the first storm of the season. Too wet outside to test at the moment. Hopefully later this week as time allows.

20. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Check this and tell me if it is helpfull.

Attached Files: