The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm kinda new to the forum, I never made a Slingshot before;
I want to make one using a metal frame that used to hold a clock, it's pretty weak, but has a nice shape for an arm mounted slingshot.
I want to keep my first slingshot as "free" as possible (My money is kinda short right now :(), and I have a couple of Bycicle inner tubes that were flat and I kept when I changed then, I already cut them a little, and experimented a bit, but it wasn't good...
How can I use those as slingshot bands, or, where can I get good rubber for free?
One of those inner tubes is circular, the another is sort of flat, being circular only when it's inflated.
Thanks for your attention!!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Most bike tubes are made of butyl rubber these days and are crap for bands. But, high-end bike riders use latex tubes which are NOT cheap, especially in comparison to buying theraband from forum vendors and Amazon etc. However, if there is a posh bike shop in your area it never hurts to go there and dumpster dive for Latex tubes. Also, you could go in, explain what you are doing and ask if they have any in the bin in their service department. The worst that could happen is being told to piss off. If they do help you out, come back and show them what you have done and maybe have one or two to give them. Good luck. We look forward to what you come up with.

PS. I get most of my basic materials off of the curb. Naturals, good ply, HDPE and no telling what else. Once you stop being embarrassed about trash picking you can load up on beau-coup good free stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Reply!
Yeah, I sometimes get things that look like I could use from trash bins, but mostly eletric cables, motors and some other parts I think that seems nice (I got a lot of broken printers once!!).
I think I'll probably not find latex rubber inner tires around here, I never saw them, not even for sale. :c
I asked about the bycicle tubes because I already have them, can they be used for something else and be useful?
Where else can I ask for free rubber?

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Some sources for free (or at least very cheap) latex material for improvising bands:

-Rubber bands/office rubber, optimally wide ones. Sometimes available for free in post offices etc. Check quality by stretching and relaxing them. You should be able to stretch them to app. 5 times their relaxed length, and they should return to their original form.

-Condoms are sometimes available for free. You will have to get rid of any lubricant before using them, and you might have to use several per side since they are quite thin. Also your slingshot might look quite strange ;)

-Balloons, preferably the long skinny kind (right side of picture). You might also need to bundle several per side.

-Bungee cord contains strands of latex under the textile cover. It is quite difficult to remove this outer layer though

Hope this helps and you can improvise some bands

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I think I'll try to use rubber balloons or condoms, I have also found some nice wood I can use to make a slingshot, I'll try it as soon as I can :)

·
Suspended User
260 Posts
Another option is an old football, cut it open and the inner bladder should be suitable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
though ive never tried i understand some kitchen gloves are also natural latex, my present scout frame btw is some brickies cement tray he foolishly left outside of his building site and was clearly a cutting from a piece of good quality nice thick plyboard! finders keepers

·
Registered
58 Posts
I work in a kitchen environment sometimes and find elastic tubes in the lids of rectangular Maggi buckets, they are clear and about 5mm thick. They have a little bit of power and will do in a pinch. I have tried to use butyl rubber poly whatever, and found it split really easy.

I know now that if you cut along the grain of the mould pattern of the inner tube you can cut bands like you would with theraband, but the power isn't great, yet if you had nothing else it would work to make a kill, I have seen a half house brick launched from a bicycle inner tube between two trees and into a car windshield.

Office rubber bands are great, especially when they are fresh, and they are cheap and easy to find.

You can actually buy condoms without lube- online or from the chemist/medical supply.

I have never seen LaTeX tubes at the local bike shop, but I know they exist, all the local cyclists are going tubeless- with slime.

Truck inner tubes have to contain latex for some reason, I think it is because vulcanised patches don't work on the nylon, butryl and poly tyres. Vulcanised patches are the only legal inner tube repair you can use on a truck tyre...

The other alternative for stored mechanical energy is steel springs, heavy, lagged and prone to rust, yet it works, in all atmospheric temperatures with little variant. Trampolines use these and can be found for real cheap.
Car/truck/trailer leaf springs are also a good source of cheap power.

We have a lot of hardwood weed species in Australia, that provide strong laths/prods and staves, that's another form of cheap power, as is pvc tube, check out backyardbowyer on YouTube, all he uses is pvc tube, heatguns, foil and wood forms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts