How To Make A Full Tang Knife - The Art Of Weapons

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by The Art Of Weapons, Nov 10, 2013.

1. hey!
    here is my tutorial on how to make a full tang knife!!!
    part 1:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kr1gcmRWo[/ame]
    part 2:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNwptx0x16I[/ame]
    Enjoy!!! :)

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Loved this, do you think it's possible with a stainless steel hardened ruler?

J

3. i am not sure how stainless steel heat treats but i know that it is possible with old saw blades and stuff like that

4. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

love it just like all your work, except i love this so much more! big fan!

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

XXdoomxx why stainless?

Stainless has its uses, but for anything I'm going to actually use I prefer high carbon steel. Of course many would probably disagree. Stainless takes longer to dull down, but it takes a LOT longer to get the edge back right again.

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Excellent video! Now I know what I need to do...

about 15 years ago, I was involved in a play and I needed a sword as a prop. No one I knew had one, but a guy I knew worked in a factory where they built parts for heavy trucks and even tanks. Using a water cutter, he made for me a 'sword'- a tang bastard sword for the play. It is made from high carbon steel but is just a cut-out. It has no edge and has not been tempered. I didn't know how to properly form and treat the steel to make it into a viable weapon so it has sat in storage for over a decade. But I guess I'll have to make a forge now... and a big one since the blade is 95 CM long.

-Wild Bill

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Ghosth I was just saying that cause that's the only steel I got ....

J

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Well I totally agree with using what you have. :)

9. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Wow you make it look so easy! Ive always wanted to make a blade in a forge. I think this will help me get started. Thanks fro the post. You have a new fan.

10. that is awesome!
    i would love to see that!
    how thick was the steel! :)

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great work TAOW! I can honestly say my activities at your age were hardly this constructive. Actually, they were probably more destructive that constructive ;)

12. Warsong

Warsong New Member

Are all of your videos stock removal method? Just wondering because I work with a wood/propane forge.

13. I haven't tried the forgeing method yet but o might give it a go!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

14. Warsong

Warsong New Member

All right! I've found that stock rod is a cheap way to learn, and there are several videos on youtube on how to make many many many different kinds of forges. The other great thing about forging is you can more easily customize your layout to suit your needs at that moment, since each job is different.

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Entertaining and informative. Well done.

16. riverbob9101

riverbob9101 New Member

Great videos. Only suggestion I would make is do all you sanding and polishing after the quenching because it will remove the pre quench polishing, which is unnecessary since the heating and cooling completely reforms the crystal structure.

17. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Sorry it took so long, but in the move I did manage to unearth the thing tonight.

The steel is 1/4" thick. The blade is 28" long- I put a boot next to it for scale purposes. Who knows? I may just get some equipment this late summer and grind this thing into usefulness.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  18. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

That thing could be a formidable weapon with some shaping. Heck even with no shaping and enough power that thing is dangerous. Approximately how much does it weigh? Looks like probably 5-8 lbs but could easily be wrong.

19. that is so cool!
    what type of steel is it made of?