How to get a flat surface on wood

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Mulgarat, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Hi there!
    I wanted to glue a 3cm thick endcap to an unfinished SS, so i needed a flat surface on each piece, but i didnt managed that. Can anybody tell me how to do that?

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

belt sander is what I use. Steady hands is a must, brace them against a table if you can.

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface an sand away patiently

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've made 2 slingshots recently, both with end caps, my first time trying this process. I'm okay with my results, but I know an experienced hand can do better. I've got a slingshot from Dolo with an end cap - the joint between the two pieces is flawless - no gaps, no irregularities - it looks like they were meant to be together. So, until I get a belt sander, I'm doing it by hand using Tilia's method. I've been using a clamp to hold a piece of sandpaper on a flat board (easier than trying to hold the sandpaper steady yourself) and then trying to hold my hand as steady as possible to make a nice flat surface. I'm guessing the more you do it, the better you'll get. I noticed a difference just from the first piece to the second.

5. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Ok, thx!
    So i just need a little more experience.

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

You just need to learn how to use a file, properly.

7. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

It's both really hard wood and also the side on which the yearrings(i dont know how it's called) are.

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

You can use a saw......it usually cuts in traight line, becoming a plane surface.....

9. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

You can clamp it into a vice so that it only sticks out maybe 2mm. Then you remove material with a rasp until you hit the metal on both sided. Finish off with a sand paper block. This way it is impossible to get it uneven.

10. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I clamped a long flat file in a benchand used my hand to move the wood up and down the file. I guess it's very close to putting a peace of sand paper on a flat board. I think either one will work. I hope that helps.

11. Haze

Haze New Member

I have a pine 2x 4 with some 80 grit glued to it so you can just use it wherever.