How To Cast a Full Aluminium Rambone Slingshot - Full Video Tutorial!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Jan 17, 2014.

1. RAMBONE Cast out of Aluminium- Full Video Tutorial!

Hello!
    i literally put a weeks freetime into the creation of this video and the editing really seemed to take forever so i hope that you enjoy it!
    the video explanes literally any questions that i can think of but if you still have any then please feel free to ask!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7UxgfW7yqA[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. sry that the video is so long but i tried to get it under 15mins but it was near impossible!

3. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Really great job, I attempted to make micarta but it separated :( how many pieces of paper of each layer did u put

4. Thanks
    Yep for the micarta I have found that if you add too much hardener to the resin then the end product is not as strong
    Also I used thin card with 5 layers of paper each side

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

5. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Very nice video me and Finn enjoyed it :)

J

6. Thanks doom

7. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member

Very good job you have a lot of patience:)

8. thanks i am really glad that you enjoyed the video!

9. jurassicbark2000

jurassicbark2000 jurassicbark2000

Great tutorial i am 48 and there is no way my misses would let me do that . Rock on young man

10. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Thank you for posting this video. It's very informative. The lessons you give by explaining the mistakes are valuable to me as i want to try this very soon. I am trying to figure out what material to use for a crucible that will be much larger than yours though. I had been considering cast iron, but realize I will need to control temperature to avoid Thermite meltdown.

I think I mentioned to you before about using certain power tools to process your castings. You mentioned having problems with aluminum clogging your files. Also how sanding by hand can get boring and tiresome.

Belt sanding is a method of removing material that is much quicker than hand sanding. A tabletop belt sander can be great for taking off the majority of porous "skin" from a casting.

A band file is a small hand held belt sander that can reach all the other areas of a casting. It can be the only tool for some jobs that will work. They aren't too expensive, but you want to locate a source of replacement belts before you buy the unit. I have many years of working with various metals, and highly recommend you take a look at this device.

Another bit of advice I can give you would be the subject of peening or burnishing a casting. This involves micro hammering of the casting's surface to close up those imperfections. If you take an old worn out small Phillips head screwdriver blade that is about 1/8" or 3/16' thick and cut 2" of it off and round the ends. Then using a torch heat the middle up enough to slightly bend it. The put that tool in a variable speed electric drill. As it spins you'll notice it kind of wobbles. Using that wobbling rounded tip, you can hammer against the surface of the casting to compress the grain of the soft metal. If you have a porosity "pit" you hammer the metal towards that hole to close it up. Work from different directions too. Once you are satisfied, then sand that area again to match the surrounding metal.

Peening is very similar and can be done with the ball end of a ball-peen hammer, or a reciprocating tool such as an air chisel with the proper bit.

Attached Files:

11. I will have to give those techniques a go!
    Also I might buy one of the Sanders but I prefer to no use much advanced equipment since lots of people dont have it

12. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Why don't you try to make a hot wire cutter, so making the foam mold will be a lot easier and quicker and still very accurate

13. I could but I can also use my new scroll saw and it is also really accurate

14. ColtSmith

ColtSmith New Member

Is micarta that stuff that looks like and feels like plywood that they use on handles

15. They do use it usually on knife handles and when polished the paper micarta goes smooth but tge denem stell feels like a nice material texture