How many shots with TBG?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by DaveSteve, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DaveSteve

DaveSteve New Member

I don't get 500 shots with TBG. It always tears at the tie to the pouch.<br><br>I use thin strips of TBG to attach it and I tried also the constrictor knot.<br><br>Same difference. Single or double setup; they tear at this point.<br><br>I cut it carefully with the roll cutter but I don't know what I could do better.<br><br>I cut them 2.5x1.5x22<br><br>I'm frustrated because I really like how TBG shoots but I'm tired to make a new bandset every other day. My tubing (Dankung) lasts many weeks without any signs of wear.

2. softgoat

softgoat New Member

I use exactly the same size bands, I don't get 500 shots on single bands but get 500 or more on the double bands. I tend to shoot 9-10mm most of the time so that is much easier on the rubber, maybe that is why my bands last longer. Also I use Gamekeeper John's method for attaching the bands, I find his string method is not so hard on the rubber as pliers. I totally agree the TB gold is the best, I still use tubes, but TB gold is always my first choice.

3. DaveSteve

DaveSteve New Member

I don't use any pliers either. <br><br>I don't use <strong>any </strong>metal (vice) on them. <br><br>I do all by hand. They shoot great but sadly I cannot enjoy them long.

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That is pretty strong tapering, no wonder the bands tear early. <br><br>If you want TBG bands to last 500 shots, <br><br>a) use much less tapering (if any)<br>b) don't stretch it to more than 450% of the relaxed length EVER. <br><br>So if you cut your bands 22cm, you will loose about 2 cm for the attachments. 20 cm x 4,5 is 90 cm. Are you stretching it more far? If so - that is the problem. <br><br>Of course less tapering and stretching means less power. You can compensate by using more rubber, hence increasing the draw weight. <br><br>Basically we are talking compromises. Everyone has to find the individual optimum.

5. DaveSteve

DaveSteve New Member

I will try to use them without tapering. <br><br>My draw length is 80-81 cm. <br><br>Thanks. <br><br>I don't give up on TBG.

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I assume you already use a sharp roll cutter? If your draw is only 81cm, you should get a decent amount of shots from that band even with tapering.

7. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

For target shooting I used tapered bands and got bored of them ripping at the pouch. but now i use double 1.56 cm straight cuts, 25 cm length but when i attach it to the ss i leave 2.5 cm more for when and if it rips. my last band set lasted for ever. i also spread evenly the TBG strip when attaching the bands to the pouch and not center all the strip in the same place.