How many people hunt?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by dannytsg, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Just wanted to ask the question as to how many people hunt with their slingshots and what do you hunt for.

I am a volunteer ranger for my local district and part of our work involves wildlife management and conservation on the area's we look after.

I regularly use my slingshots for hunting small vermin which range from magpies up to rabbits.

Does anyone else hunt and what do you hunt for?

2. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I don't really hunt but i occasionally take down non-native birds that steal our chicken food.

3. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I hunt but not too much with my SS. I prefer a 20 gauge for deer and a BB gun or .22 for small game or birdshot.

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Hunting is ilegal in Brazil. We don't have vermin control either. And I don't agree with killing any kind of animals (except for fish, out of their breeding season). Even urban pidgeons, considered as a plague. Its up to specialized teams (such as yourself)to judge and execute that kind of work. Although, I would not feel any bad for shooting a thief, rapist or trafficant......

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I plan on taking (and eating) squirrel from my deer stand this fall. I also hunt deer with rifle and muzzleloader. I have hunted game birds via shotgun before, but don't have a much time as I used to. Would really like to hunt goose, as Canadian geese are a nuisance in Minnesota and are oh so tasty.

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I live on the edge of a huge marsh (Suisun Wetlands)
    and I do prowl the channels with my kayak in the Fall for ducks. I can justify it to myself because I make it as primitive as possible, and I take only a few ducks or geese per season. I spend far more time sitting in the freezing rain wondering why I am doing such a foolish thing when I should be home in front of a fire.

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Just reminds me my fishings!!!! Rain.... Mosquitos...... No fish!!!!

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

As they say, that is the story of my life!! I spend much time fishing, very little time catching, and far too much time feeding the mosquitoes!

9. I don't hunt!

First cause it's illegal!

Second this should to professional Hunters with licence and legal weapon's for hunting!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  10. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

What kinds of duck are there in your area, Will? Have you tried geese? There's a lot more of them than ducks and they're bigger (but much tougher) targets.

11. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I by the way hunt Deer, varmin when I can find them, Ducks, Maybe Turkey this year, duck and I want to hunt geese.

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The marsh next to my house is part of the Pacific Flyway, so we get an abundance of migratory birds common to the Northwest. Mainly teal, mallards and pintail. There are also nearly plague proportions of Canadian geese too, but they only come out after I've put my shotgun away!

13. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

... and pulled your slingshot out!

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

It seems that I have missed a crucial part in the original post: 'with their slingshots.'
    I would like to make it very clear that I do NOT hunt waterfowl with a slingshot. This would be inhumane, in my opinion. I have a difficult enough time killing any creature, especially when odds are I cannot do so cleanly. I take my two birds a year with a single-shot shotgun. This is not only out of respect for the birds, but as a small tribute to four generations of my family hunting the same water in same style.

15. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Thanks for your input guys. I know my original post stated with a slingshot but I am happy for the discussion to include other methods as well. I hunt longer ranges using air rifle and small bore rifle when the permission arises. I have also used shotgun for bird control before but our firearm law in the UK are very strict so I mainly use the catapult and the air rifle for longer range vermin control.

16. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

me and I friend have been on a hunting trip in our back yard, we took down a lot of slugs with a pellet gun. That was disgusting and ridiculously funny because we acted like real dangerous game hunters and it made a mess every single shot! :D
    I occasionally hunt flies with an airsoft, thats cool too.
    Don't tell anyone, because I'm sure what we did is actually illegal here in germany! :(

17. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I only hunt varmin with my SS. Were they huge slugs?

18. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

Gigantic slugs! some of them about 80mm long! The only ones we didn't shoot was the tiger slug because it feeds from other slugs. You always wanna make sure you kill them with the first shot because there is nothing mor uncomfortable than a wounded slug ;)

19. I think, people should go hunting only around eat to agree.
    Or to support around the nature.
    But not to have trophies for their collections.
    And to give satisfaction around theirs.
    As well as it once ours drive up have acted.
    And so that he did not consist of the animals is threatened.

Joe

20. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

I am a firm believer is hunting only for food, the conservation of wildlife or the removal of vermin species from threatening food crops etc.

My roles as a volunteer range is mainly in hunting/culling for the conservation of the grounds I work on but I also do hunt for food and do pest control as well