How do you Laminate?

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Antraxx, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Wargasm

Wargasm New Member

most glues set up in and hour, but it's best to leave them clamped for 12hrs at least. Gorilla glue is real good, but there is a few kinds, the standard expanding stuff, the regular milky brown wood glue, a clear one that dries white and the super glue. I've used the regular gorilla glue for laminating and it works good. The milky one is good for glueing wood to wood but I wouldn't try laminating metals with it. Ideally if you are laminating metals and wood you should use two part epoxy. Don't clamp it too tight though as you can force the epoxy out of the joint. If you want to color it only use dry powders, for black I'd use graphite, red use Iron oxide, basically research what dry powders are used to color concrete and you can use these in epoxy with no ill effects. Ideally you should rough up the metal surfaces that are mating up with the wood, you should probably drill a couple of holes in the metal too, this lets the woods bond together through the metal and should give you a more solid bond. Check the wood you are using too, some wood can't be glued due to natural oils and waxes, I know teak is tough to glue as is lignum vitea which is very waxy, I would think olive wood would be pretty oily too, but I've never worked with it so have no first hand experience.

2. luxor5

luxor5 New Member

Take two small sample pieces and replicate conditions you will be using, temperature pressure and time etc then destruct your sample. I only have a S****Y EVO-stick pva wood glue at the moment.. yet I trust my laminates with it, by destroying a sample with a lump hammer and about 50lb of pressure I'm confident the glue will hold my wood together and for stress points I pin in better safe than sorry all most any modern wood glue will be very strong.