How can one tell if TBG is going bad?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jeremy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I have some tapered TBG on my BB shooter and noticed it was starting to stockbroker full objects, like the wood of my desk. Is this a sign that the bands are on the way out and will need replaced soon?

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

'Yer twistin' my melon 'cause you talk so hip--

When mine starts talking disrespectfully to old ladies and holding up liquor stores I'm pretty sure its gone bad.

I think you can just keep cutting it down, it just lasts less long each re-tie, or seems to me.
    Look for stolen goods under its bed, too.

3. Jeremy

The word I was looking for earlier was "tacky" (not sure if I spelled that right). The bands are starting to feel tacky and kind of stick to themselves. As I am not to familiar with Theraband Gold, I'm not sure if that is normal.

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Try baby powder,talc or corn flour on them. When they get like that, they will also start to 'bruise' more from fork contact and other friction. Powder will buy you some time.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

6. Jeremy

Thanks Raven, I never would have thought to try that.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting. I bought my first TBG about 6 months ago and haven't had any get 'tacky' yet. I've had some bands break from wear, but that's it. I do keep my spare TBG and even my banded slingshots in a dark storage box when I'm not using them - I've understood that's the best way to extend their life. You'll have to let us know what happens with the powder idea.

8. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

You have not been some wet place, I brought my catty play in woods last summer. the band turns sticky and dead.

9. Jeremy

I have not been in any wet places with my slingies. I keep my BB shooter in the small Ziploc bag in which it came and stored in my desk drawer when I'm not using it. I may have to start storing them in an old military ammo box when they are not being used.

10. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

In a video of his, Bill Herriman suggested rubbing a wee bit of silicone grease on the last 1-1/2" or so of band at the pouch end also. I have some Horton crossbow rail lube I'm going to try. If anyone else tries that MAKE SURE it's silicone grease and not petroleum based, or it may react with the rubber.

11. Jeremy

That is a great idea. You'll have to let us know if it works.