hording precious metals?

Discussion in 'Zombie / Prepping related stuff' started by Ryan Wigglesworth, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Buy low, sell high, tell no one, have a secure place to store it.

Done that way in theory you could have made significant income when the gold prices jumped. But, it means being patient, it can take years of waiting.

It also takes a significant investment to get a good return.

You could always work it out on paper, give yourself an imaginary check for 100k, pick your price to buy at, and watch the market daily/weekly. Track it for a year or two, and figure out what your sell price is, or how much you would have to see your gold raise in value before cashing in.

I have to warn you though, gold is pretty slow, boring.

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

yeah.... i would like to know who saves precious metal to for when the shtf to....
    know exactly who to visit when that time comes ;)

4. Ghosth

Come find me if you need lead tilia, I'm not sitting on massive quantity's, but I am hoarding what I have.

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

it will probably come to me at a very high speed a?
    and ill have to catch it?
    LOL

6. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

if you want highspeed gold: cast gold balls and shoot them because it´s the slingshot forum :)

yes i would buy some gold but have in thought: maybe only your kids (or kids kids) will get much money

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I convert any significant wealth into bouillon. The paper that the US government issues claims to be legal tender but it in actuality is not- it is worthless since it nothing more than a representation of a national mortgage and has no actual value. Money is a unit of measure- so what is the measure of the Federal Reserve? Nothing.

-Wild Bill

8. BrooksPotts

BrooksPotts Brooksiepooh

I don't really hoard precious metals but I DO hoard aluminums,leads, coppers and softer metals and just cast them into bars Good idea if you're into casting your own parts. You can imagine that in the zombie apocalypse (if there would be one or for that matter any kind of apocalypse) replacing parts to your stuff isn't going to be easy you may not even be able to find parts in a part store depending on it be raided or other problems with not being close, there for a portable furnace is needed! which is simple enough. However precious metals like gold and silver would be a good idea to hoard if you want to invest in the long run scheme of things. People who are REALLY smart invest in gold to stabilize their savings vs. just stacking up cash in the safe. Gold has value you just gotta know how to use it. But we are to a point now in nano technology where we can assemble atoms into basic elements, so if there is a chance that science is capable of mass producing gold...you're as we say "royally screwed"

9. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

I pulled out leaking lead tubes and wonder how heavy they are. Precious and they could be ammo...

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

aw shucks,

I thought this thread was about someone's hidden collection of rare hard core music albums.
    You gotta listen to something after tshtf.:D

11. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

In the last year I was very interested in the fundamentals of economics because of the coming crisis of Dollar, Euro and so on. But crisis is not the right word. It is the way our economy works and crash is a fundamental part of it. It´s not a bug, it´s a feature.
    So it is good to have some precious metals to overcome the 17 trillion US-Dollar debt crash.
    When the world will lose the confidence in the Dollar then the Dollar will go back to what it was made from, thin air. Analysts says the gold price can rise to 50.000$/oz and more.
    But gold is always the same. Not the worth of gold rises, the worth of the Dollar drops.
    If you want to learn about money, what it is, how it works and where it comes from look at this sides:

http://www.banks-need-boundaries.net/
    http://www.positivemoney.org/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8&feature=player_detailpage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8RtL3azDg
    http://vollgeld.ch/ (only in german)

I hope it will help a little.

12. BrooksPotts

BrooksPotts Brooksiepooh

Interesting enough, the 17 Trillion dollar debt that the government is in is because of really poor spending. Due to financial bailouts within the federal reserves and of course looming military budgeting that by most accounts in DC " Must always have a large military budget just in case "... add that with our ability to fund terrorist/ anti-terrorist movements with weapons and ammunitions, and you have the perfect instrument for collecting a debt. To top it all off with corporate industries backing key components in elections, the cycle will just continue till the dollar crumbles to a fine ash pile. This is true that gold does not actually increase in value however if you'll see my previous post, the abundance of gold does decrease its worth in terms of accessibility, this means that if it cannot be replicated then it has more worth just like a precious stone with minimal inclusions and strong saturation. To make this value system is simple enough if 1 pound of gold could get a car, and then a mine opened that found over 600,000 pounds then the overall value of that being traded into a vehicle might end up being less. To me I feel that gold in itself still has this very value system much like currency because of the demand. Other things that define gold as being such a key player in rarity is it is formed through supernova formation and death. these atoms are then grouped during earth formation causing what we see as gold. People say that gold cannot be replicated, but this is not true. It can easily be replicated the same way physicists create other metals by atom placement. Each element has a code and because of its atomic structure on the periodic table (Au) you can form the molecule, that's where the trickery comes in because you then have to assemble it millions of times before you can get a base structure... that's why I mentioned nano technology is on its way into the microbial and nano-molecular machine age where it may be possible to create specialized liquids that devour certain elements/ or metals and intern their output ends up being other materials. Which would make our precious metals...well not precious anymore although mental, value may linger for a while :D

BTW this was not meant to stir up opinions about the federal government nor discredit your info. Just another look at why gold has a value system

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Hoarding precious metals or jewels in case of "SHTF" is hogwash. If the S collides with the F, many of these things will be of no value. as far as a metal in a need to use it for a weapon or to make a fire scenario, gold is useless. Iron, steel, lead will be of more value to survivors as well as copper and brass. Jewels have no real value aside from showing the world how shallow people are.

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

in most if not all previous wars you can do a lot with gold
    especially when you wanna escape

also alcohol is a good thing to store for trade

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

True, but war isn't a real SHTF in my opinion unless its truly a world war far beyond anything ever seen.

16. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

than we disagree on that point :)

imo when its war... the **** definitely hit the fan

17. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

I found this short video. It shows a problem which increases the crash potential additional.
    It´s the same problem like in germany.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

18. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYZpWTvre9c[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  19. Ghosth

Regulus thank you for posting that video, a real eye opener it was. <Salute>

20. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

The thing to horde is knives, tools, iron, steel, aluminum, things that can do something. My thought is $500 in precious metals to maybe grease palms.