Hook Shot (prototype)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Bushmaster, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I got the idea for this from a coat rack I saw recently. I mounted it up to see how it shoots. I like it well enough to get fancier with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Wow

Great idea!

Is that XPS?

Lovely smart shooter!

Greetings and welcome aboard!

-------------

At second sight: be cautious! tubes are powerful, cast aluminum may break!!

-or is it CrNi-steel?

Be safe!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

3. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I wouldn´t trust that hook.

4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Thanks for your concern. I went to Everbilt's website and checked the spec. on the hooks. The material is listed as zink, which I believe is a fancy name for pot metal, and the weight capacity is rated at 460 pounds. Pot metal is brittle I know, but the capacity makes me confident. I will through bolt the hook to the frame (recessed) when I laminate the pistol grip. I would welcome any suggestions.
    The tubes are Trumark heavy.

5. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

i like the looks of it and the simpleness, just take a rope and tie it to the ends and pull and see what happens. :)

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting I had the very same Idea. Fortunately I survived it without losing an eye. The metal right where the hooks join the disc will fatigue and break off. I had 2 longish screws and epoxy holding it down when it broke at full draw. It busted the lens of my safety glasses, tore them and my regular glasses off of my head and cut the crap out of my ear.
    As you might expect, I CANNOT recommend this.
    [​IMG]

7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Well, that's enough for me! Sorry to dredge up disturbing memories, Flipgun. I'm going to try and delete this post and I WILL abandon this project! Thanks all!

8. Flipgun

Please Don't delete! The memory of this is one of the best that I have had in a while. Who gets that Lucky? Also this is like the 3rd time I've seen this idea and feel I am doing a public service by relating my experience. I mean, it LOOKS like such a good idea and someone has to inform people that it is not. We are here to help each other and it was my turn.
    Keep Building and Happy Shootin'!

9. Ryan Wigglesworth

Flip... yours looks different than his, his are more low profile. it may help to do some extra safety precautions...

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I really like this idea. I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for some hooks like this that are 'real' steel. It's really a great way to improvise Bushmaster and Flipgun. Glad you're both unhurt from the experience.

11. Flipgun

I admit that I did try one mor lower hook up.
    [​IMG]

But it does no do tubes too well and I never liked it well enough to go forward wth lite bands and flipping it.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

No reason to give up, you can very easily take some steel rod and bend a hook from it, then mount it with screws and washers. I have successfully used 8mm steel rods for such projects, you can bend them cold and with ease.

13. Ryan Wigglesworth

wouldnt wrapping the prongs in some duct tape or something of the like sorta help in case of catastrophic failure? or perhaps just wrapping your face in it? ;) lol

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very clever idea.
    That hook is maybe not strong enough but i saw some made out of copper( or tin, not sure). Those will be harder and stronger. Don' t you think? I don' t no much about metal... :eek:

15. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Great idea maybe find a hook out of hardened steel ? Don't think the have that do they ?

J

16. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

one word....brilliant

17. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Bushmaster

You reacted in a very smart way to the critics!-
    Seems you aren´t bothered, and no one reacted to your post
    except because of taking care of you- to not be harmed.

That gives me (again) a very positive sight on what this forum is:

a "friend"ly place. Thanks to all of you!

As Jörg said, there is a way to keep a shooter like yours "alive",
    so nothing has to be deleted, neither the idea nor the post!

Seems we all are a bunch of winners!-
    Two-eyed winners ;) and that´s what I like the most!

Be (safe, everyone!)

18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

One of the reasons I posted was to see if it was feasible to proceed with the design. I was disappointed, of course, to learn of the shortcomings but glad it held up until I learned of the dangers. I already have ARED's ( age related eye disease) so I'm especially concerned about eye safety. BeMahoney's PS kept me from proceeding after the first 6 shots. Then Flipshot really put the brakes on! I really like the streamlined "look of the hook" and I know a good welder so I'm going to try a version suggested by JoergS. It's worth a shot!

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Your welder bud will hook you up:p

I trust an experienced welder more than most engineers I've met on matters like this.
    Looking forward to seeing the eye-safe version.

I was just eyeing a hook like that in my bathroom, so thanks to everyone for keeping all our eyesight in stereo.
    I think I would miss depth perception....