Hook and a thumb

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Snader76, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Hi all.
    For SS enthusiast green (like myself) and more experienced alike you need to try "hook and thumb" hold.
    For most of you this will probably sound like - grass is green and sky is blue, but those who haven't tried it - worth a shot.
    I made this SS out of PVC - easy to work with and I had some laying around.
    Was curious about the hold and shape and there is great many shapes I have came across on this forum (so much to do so little time).
    Finish and craftsmanship is not the best, I made it just to get a feel for it.
    I like shooting it - so easy and intuitive.
    Give it a try.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Snader76

Attached Files:

3. Snader76

Hold

Attached Files:

4. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

You are too humble---thats a beauty!

Especially out of PVC, not the easiest material to pretty up.
    I like it.

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I'm on a "shooter" seaso...and I started giving more attention to these designs recently! very nice!

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That is a best looking catapult.

7. Snader76

Thank you Mike, sandblasting made it somewhat pretty.

8. Snader76

Thanks BV.
    Thanks Jeremy.

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Snader, I tried that grip for a long time when I got back into slinging last year, it was the preferred hold for the slingy I stupidly bought from someone(vendor) on another site which will also remain unnamed(I was raised to not say something if you can't say something nice). After realizing I could make a better slingy on my own that's made for my shooting style I never went back. It works for many but all I got was fork hits and house hits, then I tried sideway and saw Mr. Arturo's video on the tweak, gained pfs knowledge and the rest is history;).

10. CEZ

CEZ New Member

It's very nice (your slingshot), I tried out that grip on the hand mortar design and mostly I like it for reducing handslap.

11. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

12. JaggerJagger

JaggerJagger New Member

That really is a beauty! I wish i could make one, well, at least AFFORD to make one. Im broke, and cant make any money. Im 13 after all!:D great job that is an amazing slingshot!

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Ferret Hunter, I believe. That is very well done. On the other forum there is a thread about making shooters from from thick walled PVC pipe. The curve of the pipe fits the palm very well. There is the other one about making your own HDPE from recycled plastic bottles. However HDPE does not take any adhesive whereas shown by the seam on the swell of your shooter, PVC most certainly does and it comes in several colors. I haven't done it yet but I think that you can do almost anything with PVC that you can do with wood. A very nice introduction for a subject I believe needs pursuing. Thank you for showing us this.

14. Snader76

Sorry to hear that your experience was bad. I'm still working on pfs shooting technic and what i find the hardest is consistent release that affects my accuracy.
    With this type of grip and higher fork I hold pouch like a tea cup with two fingers(index and thumb 3 remaining fingers fanned out and almost straight).
    This gives me even release and no bump, works better for me.
    I haven't given up on honing my pfs technic - work in progress.

15. Snader76

Thanks everyone for kind words.

16. Snader76

Thank you. I used PVC cement (any hardware store) to glue palm swell piece, holds really good.
    I also made some PVC pipe sling shots, they are not real strong but comfortable.
    If you would like strong PVC ss out pipe - fill the forks with epoxy after you done heat forminig it. I have used that method and it works.

17. Snader76

18. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

...I also made some PVC pipe sling shots, they are not real strong but comfortable....
    I had always thought to stack and glue to improve the strength.

19. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

thats my preferred kind of shooting, all my minis were designed to be holded like that. anyway, great work.