The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While browsing some other forums, i saw a member named Charles made a post about cylinder ammo, and how he sprayed them pink to make tracer rounds. I wanted to try, but with round ammo! At first i just tried spraying a couple at a time, but that proved tedious as the balls wanted to roll around, and got stuck to each other. So i grabbed a chunk of soft pine, and hammered about 100 divets with a hammer and a 1/2in steel ball to keep them in place and seperate. Here are the results so far! I sprayed one side, let it dry, and flipped each ball over to get the other side. Im wating for them to dry FULL so they arent sticky, i dont want any "Rasberry bon bon" rts....:D Once they dry ill see how well they work!

·
431 Posts
Actually for myself colored marbles(complettly white/green/blueish) proved to be pretty darn visible in broad daylight as did light blue paintballs so why not try it out with steel balls :)

I guess you could get yourself a can of illuminating paint (the whitish kind you shine your light on and they keep glowing afterwards) and do some pretty intense night-shooting sessions, and even at daylight they would be pretty visible because they are pretty light (whitish with some greenish to it) anyways.
Or if you have a dedicated shooting range, build yourself some battery powered UV-LED Lights that are located in the floor and do some shooting and watch the awesomeness :)

There are actually tournaments in which people play badminton in complette darkness with UV-Light and different colored balls, it looks awesome really. (I think its called Blackminton or Darkminton look it up its pretty amazing)

Also if you have a slingbow at your dispensary get yourself lighted noks! :)

·
Girls can't be ghostbusters :P
335 Posts
you don't necessarily need UV.
there is the kinda paint that reacts to regular light, like they use on traffic signs and road lines and stuff like that.

anyhoo cool idea, i will be monitoring this thread :)

·
Makery and Mischief
122 Posts
I don't ever have a problam seeing ammo fly unless its smaller then 3/8. Ill have to try 1/4 ammo for my ultra light slingshot i stopped shooting because its just to hard to see where the shot goes unless you shoot at a peace of cardboard. Let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't ever have a problam seeing ammo fly unless its smaller then 3/8. Ill have to try 1/4 ammo for my ultra light slingshot i stopped shooting because its just to hard to see where the shot goes unless you shoot at a peace of cardboard. Let us know how it works out.
I can also see my ammo, but not always. Its a lot more fun to use brightly colored ammo, as its easier to track at long distances.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Hmmm... Tracer rounds are typically for large-caliber automatic weapons to assist in guiding fire at long ranges. Your set-up seems more like, 'high-visibility' rounds, which is kewl.

My dad used to play golf with pink golf balls. He claimed that they were easier to find. Also, he would lick them before teeing off. When asked why, he'd explain, "Because I can."

-Wild Bill

·
Makery and Mischief
122 Posts
I can also see my ammo, but not always. Its a lot more fun to use brightly colored ammo, as its easier to track at long distances.
Good pint i dont do alot of long distance just now but ill have to try it.

Did you do anything so the paint would stick. I wonder if it would last longer if i pit them in tin with some sand paper and shook then till they were etched. Im totlay going to paint some 1/2 steel as well liking this idea more and more. It will help with reclaming them when i build my slingshot 3d corse i want to make.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good pint i dont do alot of long distance just now but ill have to try it.

Did you do anything so the paint would stick. I wonder if it would last longer if i pit them in tin with some sand paper and shook then till they were etched. Im totlay going to paint some 1/2 steel as well liking this idea more and more. It will help with reclaming them when i build my slingshot 3d corse i want to make.
I didnt do anything to the balls, i just sprayed them as is! The paint us advertised to stick to wood, metal, plastic, almost anything. So far, the paint is holding up pretty well! It only chipps off or scratches a small bit of paint when you shoot really hard targets, like steel plate. However, if you shoot softer targets like soda cans, they barely take a scratch! Theyll last a long time. I tried it with glass marbles too, works just as well! Let me know if you find any difference by sanding the balls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts