Homemade Micarta and Slingshot.

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Bali-Flipper32, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Bali-Flipper32

Bali-Flipper32 New Member

Here is a slingshot I made with some Micarta I made. The Micarta is paper Micarta and it is made of eleven layers of brown and tan paper. There are four pieces of paper per layer. I think this slingshot turned out pretty well considering it was my first time working with Micarta. I don't know how to polish it so any help with that is appreciated. My rant is over. Time for some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

2. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I like how it looks like multiplex that was soaked in BLO for a couple months. Nice slingshot, good work.

3. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

4. Shane

Shane New Member

Micarta

It is amazing what you can use as micarta now. I use jeans of different colours that i get at an op-shop. You get some very interesting results as you file them down and shape the handle.
    Good luck my friend.
    Shane

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice job. Don' t know about polishing micarta but you probably find something on YT or Googy.

6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I have no experience with micarta but I bet a wipe on polyurethane would do the trick. Try either satin or high gloss on some scraps, it takes several coats. Good luck...let us know.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice job on the micarta. I really want to try this myself this year. That would probably make for great scales on a slingshot with a core of wood or aluminum if you're inclined to try that.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Looking good!

Micarta is basically just epoxy so should polish up on its own. Sand it until there is no more shine to it with something like 400 or 600 grit then go up the grades and finish with some metal polish or car paint restorer.

Oh by the way, US and European grit gradings are different so just check that before you start. :)

9. HoutmeyersPeter

HoutmeyersPeter New Member

Nice and very strong slingshot.
    You can seal the micarta after you first sanded using fine sandpaper with ordinary superglue/ CA glue. Use a latex glove to rub the glue over the micarta. The tiny micarta fibers will partially soak up the glue until its outer layer is saturated. Apply several thin layers ca glue. Between adding layers its best is to let it dry completely( with a hairdryer it will dry faster ).....very light sanding will make the glue layer very smooth. Use some metal polisch( colorless) to give the last layer a shiny look. The ca glue can be used to seal wood slingshots also.

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very nice!! I don't know anything about polishing micarta but it seems other do ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I can't make micarta to save my life, three tries three failures. If you can make it on your first try that's not fair... I still don't know what I'm doing wrong

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I wouldnt recommend using any kind of heat gun or hairdryer on CA as it will increase the release of irritating fumes. If you apply it properly it will be dry within 10-30 seconds anyway. Im not sure that you would need it over micarta but CA as a finish is one of my favourites if you want some shine.

13. Bali-Flipper32

Kohlqez, I just watched a few youtube videos and then jumped right in. I was surprised at how well it turned out for my first try. I plan on making another batch tonight. I post on here the results as well as my polished slingshot

14. Bali-Flipper32

I decided to go with a spray on poly coat. What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  15. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I watched youtube videos too, still nothing. For now I'm gonna name it on the humidity.... but it's not the humidity

16. Bali-Flipper32

Hahaha. I tried to make another sheet tonight but I had several problems and ended up scrapping all of it. I have very little experience making micarta but I think having a good press is the most important thing. I know thats the reason I failed tonight. Sorry I can't help you out. Im kind of in the same boat. Best of luck.

17. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Great job I plan to make micarta soon,

PS how to u like that slingshot so far?

18. Bali-Flipper32

I've only taken a dozen or so shots but I like it a lot. I think it will become uncomfortable if I shoot it for extended periods of time because it is so thin.