Homemade limited slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by john_dirty, Jan 11, 2014.

1. john_dirty

john_dirty New Member

Homemade slingshot

Alloy 7075

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Montie gear.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

If they are Montie Gear, how can they homemade? Either the tread is mislabeled, or this dude is trying to pull something.

6. john_dirty

john_dirty New Member

They were designed in 'montie gear' style. I saw i picture of them and so i started to create my own version with a cnc software. But they have other dimensions. It's 15mm 7075 alloy. There are a lot of differences in design: the grip, the bottom, the fork, band assy. They were build in germany. I don't build them for commercial. But i like metall works and build things on my own.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'm left wondering how typing info into a CNC then standing back and letting the machine do the work classifies as homemade. Its much more satisfying to actually make a slingy, or at least use a design you came up with.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Well, that's something different. If that is the case: great work! They look really good

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Calling that your own design is akin to calling the beat to ice ice baby Vanilla Ice's own beat.

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Dolo he never said it's his design

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

He fully implied that, read between the lines. 'My own version' says it all. Also trying to act like it's totally different when it's just not.
    There's no rule saying we have to agree, feel free to put me on your ignore list if you don't like what I have to say.

12. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

If you made it yourself, it’s homemade. It doesn’t have to be roughed out with a coping saw or hand-carved with a knife to qualify as homemade. Using CNC technology is different and more sophisticated than hand-carving a natural fork, but it’s still a person making a slingshot and that’s the definition of homemade. When the definition is changed, maybe it’ll be different then.

As for the design thing...When posters here do their own rendition of a Moorhammer or Rambone, they get applause for their efforts. JohnDirty did his own rendition of a Montie Gear item. There’s no difference between doing your own version of one person’s design or your own version of somebody else’s design.

My feelings are-- good job! I wish I had CNC technology capability.

In closing--- If anybody doesn’t like my pointing out what the definition of a homemade slingshot is or the fact that copies of other people’s designs are commonplace in this forum, then you can feel free to put me on your ignore list, too.

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

1st off, I already did. 2nd, it wasn't till people blew him up that he gave montie gear credit, that's the sticking point. Last I checked the first word in homemade is home, if he has a cnc in the garage then it could be considered homemade. Thats a damn expensive machine so you should understand my assumption. If you read the thread you'd understand what I said. Don't just try to start a beef because I stated my opinion, thats for the other forum;).
    Homemade has a connotation of you actually working on it, that's pretty much what I stated earlier.

14. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member

I'm sure you can already buy these offline and they are definitely not homemade I've see a couple of YouTube reviews of this slingshot and they are not homemade and they are not your idea I don't think but if you managed to cast one yourself somehow I apologise for being rude and you have done a great job

15. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I have no intention of putting anyone on my ignore list, I like to here what everyone on the forum has to say. You in particular dolo, I appreciate your blunt way of saying exactly what's on your mind, especially since what you say is often useful information. But I do feel that we should consider that this is his first post and he may not know what the correct "protocol," for lack of a better word, is.

16. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Well I can't see any difference to the montie gear shooter. Maybe posting the cad files or a picture which shows the differences you stated?

17. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

I was curious too and compared it and was able to see/spot at least two differences he mentioned. The bottom groves from Montie Gear can be easily seen to be different. Cheers!

[​IMG]

18. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

That totally slipped trough my sight, thank you.

19. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, this forum is uncensored and I don't care for copyrights and such legal issues. If someone would present his homemade Ferrari here, I'd be excited regardless of what the Italians in Maranello would think about the project, too. :)

Seriously. All I can see is a set of slingshots that look exceptionally well made and I see no hint of any commercial purpose either. So I say well done, and welcome to the forum!

I'd love to hear a bit more about your CNC equipment. Do you have access to that stuff at work? We'd love to see some pics.

20. john_dirty

john_dirty New Member

It is absolutly interessting where the focus is in this thread :). Here is a picture of the construction file. It's no bought montie gear ;)...

Attached Files: