Homemade Blowguns, Bamboo and PVC

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by mvd, Jan 17, 2014.

1. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Well, thanks to Jeremy I build not one but two blowguns today. The pvc one is 80cm long with a 18mm bore. The bamboo blowgun is 118cm long (without the muzzle protector). They are both very functional and a whole lot of fun to shoot. I am especially proud of the bamboo one while the pvc one is rather ugly. The darts are from a coathanger with a paper/tape cone or cotton fabric and string.
    Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

2. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Very cool, good job!

I tested my .40 on a pork shoulder last year. The steel wire dart easily went thru the skin, and penetrated almost three inches.

Might not kill a zombie, but sticking one of those in his neck just might incapacitate him for a few moments.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice. I like the bamboo one and the darts. Love the fletching.

4. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

My god I think I have caught another bug.....to the right the updated bamboo, now with handle sections. Left the new one: PVC inside of a copper pipe, 17mm bore, 138cm long, big brass nut as a muzzle protector and the mouthpiece of the previous pvc blowgun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. Jeremy

Muhahahahahahahahahaha!

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

How do you make the bamboo one? I've always wondered how people are able to make the hole go all the way through, I have made one but it was only 1foot long

7. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I have to admit I very much enjoy shooting my .40 caliber blowgun. I do also have a piece of 1/2 copper which was ok, but heavy, and a short PVC blowgun (those actually measure 0.6 inside) I've made a variety of homemade darts, I actually enjoy rolling paper/tape cones. My favorites are 3" long sheet rock screws, they can be old and rusty and still shoot hard. They take a paper/tape cone very well. Clip the tip on the cone, screw it in from the back and when it won't turn anymore fix it with a small dab of glue.

They also hit my target much harder than the .40 thin wire darts. Granted I'm more accurate with the .40, but big bertha has her place also. 3' for shooting inside, with a 2 foot section I can add on for outside/hunting.

I don't think blowguns hit as hard, but their penetration is better, and I am much more accurate with the blowgun than a slingshot. Both can be fun!

8. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

I have a 48" store bought Teflon coated blow gun and it is great fun and with a little practice it is very accurate. When I first got it I had more goofing off time and was able to practice a lot and was able to stack 5 darts end to end or Robin Hood as some would call it. I want to make one of these bambo ones after seeing these pictures. That thing is nice and I love the darts. Good job

9. Jeremy

I love shooting my blowgun, I am also more accurate with my blowguns than I am with my slingshots, although I shoot my slingies a lot more.

10. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Thank you all, they are both a blast to shoot and I am surprised about the accuracy. I also made some nail darts with different nails to try out.The bamboo was a pain in the backside to make. I took the longest drillbit I found, which was a ~50 cm stone drill and fired away. Then I took a very unconventional way to smoothen the inside: I took a lenght of threaded rod put it in. Closed the ends and shook the thing like a maniac up and down. Make sure you have a piece of bamboo with a uniform bore, mine is a bit conical, I think about inserting a .40 PVC tube so it doesn't shoot around a corner anymore.

11. Schultz

Schultz New Member

12. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I inserted a 11mm pvc pipe into the bamboo blowgun. With this uniform bore it shoots much better. Shot from about 4 meters or the whole length of the cellar.
    I also changed all the fluffy fletchings to paper/tape cones, who are better performing than fabric fletching.

Attached Files: