homemade beltsander prototype

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tysonspapa, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Needs some reinforcemends, and a stronger engine, but so far its running.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOTFCVPl-E&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

2. Nice and great idea and work!

I miss the bandsupport and workpiece support!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013

3. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Will be added soon. I was just checking that the band stays on the rollers.

4. Tysonspapa,

Are this rollers of rollerblades?

Where do you get the roller of the motor?

Could you regulate the speed of the motor?

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  5. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Yes they are rollerskate rollers, the wheel on the Motor is a PU wheel, got it from the Hardware Store, and this Motor is Not able to regulate, the next One will be.

6. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

That looks awesome!

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool proto, i'm thinking about building one myself too, but so many thoughts and so little time...

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Good idea, I like this. Setting the belt at an angle over the three rollers was a good move, each will help to keep the belt on correctly. Where did you find that motor? Looks like an expensive one

9. I hope to you that the ballbearings at the rollerskate rollers are no cheap china bearings so that they break @ work!

I think they are not made for this speed!

Joe

10. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

There are dimmer available for motor control, but more expensive. It is possible to add a bulb in the cable, not parallel but in line, and a switch to bridge the bulb for full power. More bulbs, less power. More watts per bulb, less reduction.
    Warning, electrical hazard when touching not isolated metal parts leading electric power.
    Or using an old drilling machine instead...

11. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

no, i work as an airconditioning expert, so its no problem to get a speed contrloler for fans. we even have a 3000 watts motor with a frequenzy converter that i could have, but that would be to much lol, no i would just use a switch that changes the voltage from 80 -120-180-220 volt or so. btw, all this was scrap material, i didnt pay anything so far, it was just a tryout.

12. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

n ormally most people use the rollers from lifting carts, they work too. about the ball bearings, i will find out. :eek:

13. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Nice idea and good implementation. About the ball bearings, i think they will not break, but they will make a unnormal noise before they give up.
    To change them is not a big deal.

14. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

I to need to build a new belt sander and am looking at different designs for when I get time and the materials together. The wheels are the toughest/ most expensive part next to a new motor. I was gawking at the hardware store the other day, at those "flat-free" wheel barrow wheels. I though one could shave down the hard foam rubber tire to a flat surface and use if for a contact wheel. Was looking at boat trailer pulleys for idler/drive wheels. Also making them from MDF with a router. There are also heavy duty, wide castors that may work as well as they have bearings built in. If the idler pulley is crowned a bit, it also helps with the belt tracking.
    For varying speed, one can also use stacked pulleys.
    I like your skateboard wheels. They should hold up quite well. Especially if they are the heavy duty longboard/ downhill racing type.

15. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

you can also use pallet truck wheels, many people do that, and they look exactly the same like the wheels they sell at knifemaker stores, but twice the price. i found them on ebay for around 15 dollars for one.