History of making a Handle to a blade, and a few corrections

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LW, Jun 24, 2013.

1. LW

LW New Member

Draw my desired shape onto the blade, and then cut out with a Grinder
    m01.jpg

After two hours of hand-sanding with different types of wet sandpaper.

m03.jpg

Cutting out the Handle and drilling some small holes in the inner side of the handle (For a better gluing the ABS Material with the blade)

m04.jpg

Cleaning everything with Aceton (very important when working with 2K Epoxy or other adhesive)

m05.jpg

Putting everything together...

m06.jpg

And voila!

BLUE01.jpg
    BLUE02.jpg
    BLUE03.jpg
    BLUE04.jpg
    BLUE05.jpg

Making new holes in the blade handle is impossible in this hardened steel, so I have to deal with the holes I already find in the raw blades. Making them a little bit bigger with the right tools is possible and I do that to put 6 mm Aluminum Tubes as pins inside the handle.

I hope that was a little useful or interesting for some...

2. Nice and great work!

Nice and great knife!

Amazing

Joe

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Again, beautiful work! And you must have read my mind, because this was my next question! Where do you find the aluminum pins for the handles? Is the handle material shaped with special tools or basic files and sanding?
    Thanks for posting this, very helpful!

4. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Great Job, a wonderfull look :D

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

you make it look so easy, very nice!!

6. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

7. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

Wow LW that is gorgeous!

8. LW

LW New Member

Hi Will, my favorite tools for working on a slingshot as you said wood rasp/ some files
    file.jpg

a few carbide cutters that make now more than 20 years a very good work. The left Carbite Cutter I use for the triangular milled groove in the handle. a I also use them to enlarge the holes in the hardened steel.

finger.jpg

Normal sandpaper and sanding pads. But careful, these pads do not like sharp edges, then you can throw them in the trash very quickly

Pads.jpg

A sanding drum
    weel.jpg

Sometimes I use a belt Sander, but actually I do not like it. I like tools where you can move around your work piece, or Tools, which you can move around :D

9. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Have you ever tried carbide drills? They are not so expensive. Use low speed in the drill press and a lot of cutting oil. To reduce the heat.

10. artons

artons New Member

do you fill the aluminum pins with epoxy? i'd like to make a knife and i have the same pins but how can i attach them?

11. LW

LW New Member

No never used carbide drills, heard of this, but such a thing does not exist in my workshop, :D but it seems to me I should look around for it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip slingpit...

12. LW

LW New Member

...there is no need to fill the pins with epoxy, those pins are 6mm and you have to drill a 6,5 mm hole in whatever you want, a knife handle or a slingshot handle. then put epoxy on your scales and inside your drilled holes, put the scales together and put the pins inside your drilled holes. I close the aluminium tubes (my pins) with some paper in the inside, because once there ist epoxy inside, you will hardly get it out there after the gluing.

Give it a try on something, it is not that difficult, good luck

13. artons

artons New Member

sure, i will do it! thank you a lot for the tips