Hickory Fork

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Drew_Bilbrey, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

This is slingshot #8. I'm a little out of order here but my #7 is still being finished. :) this is by far the roughest slingy I've made. And the quickest. I started cutting the bark back a few weeks ago and noticed the damage from bugs so I sat it aside and worked on another. But this evening I just kept looking at it and decided," what the heck? I'll make a rough one from it. - think it'll make a decent shooter even if it ain't the most beautiful. The bug damage is restricted to the handle so it doesn't cause any weakness in the forks.

Attached Files:

2. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Wow nice Ss i realy like the grain!!

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Really? You don't think it looks good? I would say it has 'character'. I happen to like finding special surprises under the bark. It's a nice fork you've made. I would bring it to full finish and enjoy it.

4. Drew_Bilbrey

My main concern was that I was originally making this one for someone else. After sanding it a bit last night, I oiled it and went to bed. This morning I've looked at it more and I have to say that I do like it in the daylight. Lol. I think I will go back aand sand it more because indeed it does have some character.

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I also like the stripes in the grain a lot.

I've always thought that wasp holes, grub tracks and other natural "carvings" add way more than they detract from a piece of wood. We call them naturals, after all. :p

I think it looks great.

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Personally I might try filling the damaged area with a clear resin, that way it's still visible but you don't have an awkward hole on the handle. I'm not sure if that would work as I've never tried it but it's an idea

7. Drew_Bilbrey

Well I spent quite a bit of time today sanding and sanding some more and this is how it turned out. Went up to 800 grit and applied a coat of boiled linseed oil. Glad I did it. I really like this fork. :)

Attached Files: