Hi from the Clyde

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by JimRhodo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I have been made to feel very welcome and have received invaluable advice already. I use a cheap Chinese eBay catapult and intend using it gingerly until I can afford something stronger. I like the Chinese style as they don't take up much space and changing the bands is a doddle.

At the moment I practice at 5m and 8m and use pebbles and chukky stones. I've tried Mint Imperials and various boiled sweets as there seems to be a town wide moratorium on marbles. I wouldn't want to be hit with a mint imperial.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

If you like the Chinese style catapults, take a look at Ranking. Be sure to buy directly from their site to avoid cheap imitations.

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Welcome!

Considered something like M&M's or Reese's Pieces? While not truly round they do have a circular/oval shape. I've used them for testing indoors (2" pink rigid foam backstop)

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I'd not thought of M and Ms. The shop on my way from work ran out of the mints Be cause they are white there is a chance of finding them again when they bounce.

The leafy 8m range

Attached Files:

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome Jim. I've got a couple of those Ebay cheapos myself. I've limited their use to lower power bands and have removed the 'Chinese' bands for use on other slingshots. If you like to shoot sweets, I've had more luck actually finding gumballs, which are a nice alternative to marbles when you can't find them. I find they shoot really well and they're not too expensive - and they're pretty tasty too ;)

6. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Thanks Jeremy. I've been considering the Pocket Thunder as it is simple in design and not too alarming to look at.

Attached Files:

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Welcome to the sling forum :)

J

8. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC!

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Did you already try to frozen the mints or M&M' s before shooting?
    Indoor i use the dog's granules from two different sizes. The dogs too are from different size of course. ;)

10. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I've now ordered the Pocket Thunder. I've stopped using the eBay catapult as I think the 2050s feel quite powerful and I get the jitters with images of metal shard flying toward me at unavoidable velocities whenever I prepare to aim.

11. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I couldn't wait in the end and risked life and limb with the old one. At 7m I can fairly consistently hit a Scott's Porage Oats box and with a few wild cards a 330ml water bottle with irregular chukky stones. Can I expect to be naturally more accurate with marbles, gum balls or steelies or is 7m too short to show up?

12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome to the forum Jim.

At seven paces you will still see improvement shooting ammo that has consistent weight.
    Stones are unpredictable, but its hard to beat the price:p

You might try hex nuts if you haven't yet. Nuts that fit 5/16 inch (M7 or M8 maybe) screws seem about the same weight as 13mm glass marbles. Hold them vertical, so you pinch on the holes.

I find them to be every bit as consistent flying as steel balls, but I'm not maybe good enough to judge.

If that cheapo ss threatens you any more go get a nice forked stick and start whittling--that'll show him who is boss.

13. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Ha ha thanks Mike and you are right about the price. Once I get me right (stance, loading, breathing etc), consistent I think consistent ammo will matter more.

If eBay cats risk shattering don't wooden ones too? I've heard I can use this

Attached Files:

14. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

As a filling for a wood epoxy sandwich. As a template would the wood be too slim? Everyone seems to be very creative with their ss crafting

15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

If the metal breaking is caused by voids inside an inferior casting toss it out.
    Or test the crap out of it (at the workbench) until you are satisfied it is strong.

Adding wood is more for comfort and looks than strength on this kind of slingie (IMO).

16. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Cheers Mike. That makes sense. I just presumed it was a matter of toughening up my hands and as for looks some of those slings could be stand alone works of art.

I'm keen to get some decent ammo and a more friendly cat. This morning I got three lumpy stones in a 5cm (2") target at 8m (26 ft). Magic! I even hit the 330ml (11oz) bottle. I can now see the stones whizzing off at tangents and generally misbehaving

This is my first bulls eye:

Attached Files: