Hey everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by GuttyC90, Feb 10, 2014.

1. GuttyC90

GuttyC90 New Member

Hi everyone!

Decided to get back into Gutties (slingshots) after spending a whole weekend watching The Slingshot Channel with my brother, so we bought a pair of cheapo slingshots from ebay and quickly realised they were cr*p!

So I decided to join here and see if I could pick up any tips regarding what's good and what's bad and see where I end up. Looking forward to hopefully improving my shooting with some help from you guys and maybe a little luck :p

Cheers.

2. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

3. GuttyC90

GuttyC90 New Member

Yeah the last time I tried to make my own out of plywood the first 3 shots all whacked me in the hand so I binned it lol I might try again at some point but right now I don't mind handing over some coin for a ready made one haha!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it's nice to buy a decent slingshot, but definitely more rewarding to make one yourself. Keep an eye on the forum and you'll pick up some good tips and tricks for making a decent one for yourself. Once you do, you'll probably start dropping the manufactured ones for your homemade models.

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Welcome to the Slingshot Channel.

Try a Trumark or Saunders. May I ask about the provenance of gutty as a nickname for slingshots? If you're on the east side of the pond, it may be cheaper to look into Barnett, Milbro-ProShot, or Gamekeeper John. Look for something with high, wide forks and make sure to match your ammo weight to the strength of the bands you use. A sturdy leather workglove on your fork hand will take the sting away from hand slaps while you work out your preferred ammo and band combination. Once you have things worked out, lower forks can give you better leverage against the bands.

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!

7. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Hello and welcome!

8. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I'm learning to wear a leather glove for protection when trying out new fork shapes.

Just because you purchased a slingshot doesn't necessarily mean you get out of jail free on hand slaps and hits.

The way I see it, if someone can shoot the one they are showing, then there has to be a way to shoot it.I just need to figure it out.

9. GuttyC90

GuttyC90 New Member

Studer1972: I'm from Scotland and it's just a slang name for them. "Gutties" is also a name for plimsol shoes as well because of the kind of rubber they're made of, maybe the rubber thing is why we call slingshots "Gutties" as well, I don't know lol

I've been using Joergs band calculator to get sizes for my bands but because I'm using Asda exercise bands instead of theraband there's probably a bit of a difference so I'm experimenting.

I'll have a wee google and put in some of these name you guys have suggested and see what I can find.

Thanks guys!