help with band set up

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by knivesgotguns, Oct 26, 2013.

1. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Im pretty new at setting up my own bands. Im using tbg and I also use the tbg calculator on this site. Im having problems with my bands snapping right at the pouch and my bands get messed up right at the pouch. It's hard to describe so I'm just going to put pictures up. My bans broke the second time using them. It just seems like I should get a little more life of of them. The first picture is the band ripping an the second is the band twisting I guess you could call it.

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

your bands seem to be cut right, maybe the wrap-n-tuck is too tight? i haven't got a clue on the twisting, i guess you could just twist them back.

3. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

and they are fastened with another tbg ? I think you are suppossed to attach them with string at the pouch (according to slingshotchannel FAQ band manual). I used paracord 550 inner string and tied 3 constrictor knots in sequence. It looks tidy and holds good so far (not in use for long tho).

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

My advice is to stretch the band at the pouch and bind with tbg so the connection between band and pouch is tight, pouch can't move around. String will lead to early failure. Also try to make sure the tie rubber doesn't twist, the rubbers edge will abraid the band material. Other contributing factors can be stretch factor, taper, band strength/ammo weight imbalanced.
    Good luck, just keep making adjustments till you hit the sweet spot.

5. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Im using the method you mentioned but im pretty sure I was twisting the band's. For ammo I'm using iron ore pellets. Pretty inconsistent stuff but not that heavy. Thanks for the help.

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

no problem. If using light ammo, you might try using only 1 layer of tbg or maybe even tbb. I use mainly 3/8 steel and find tbb to be the best for me, bonus is that it's half the price of tbg.

7. Otees

Otees Another Member

That's what I do.

8. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

just curious if you tie them under tension? when i tie mine the band is stretched, and after i tie the constrictor knot i let the tension off.

9. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Yes I tie it with tension with tbg maybe I need to put the main band under more tension

10. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Total newb here but I found that you have to stretch the ties then let them back off a little at the start to keep the band from being pulled around somewhere you don't want by the friction of the ties. I use TBG for ties and bands. My pouches suck...they fail before the bands.