Help on trigger mechanism!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Aus0utlaw, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

Just uploading a photo of the trigger mechanism for my barrel operated slingshot rifle/crossbow.
    The string release won't hold the draw pressure can anyone tell me where iv gone wrong? I'm wondering if it is because of the slight angle of the release part

2. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

Attached Files:

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

The axis that the hook rotates around must be in line with the string- look at the Hex-Nut-shooters trigger-blueprints to see what I mean!

4. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

Oh thanks! I get what u mean... Does that mean my design is stuffed then because I can't put it in line because of the barrel...

5. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

There's no wood there to screw the pivot point too. FML

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I wouldn't say the design is a write-off. It looks like there is plenty of room to carve out behind the trigger and mount it in line. May be a bit laborious and somewhat of a tight fit, but should be able to be done

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

You could put a wooden plate on each side of the hook, on the outside of the crossbow. Then you could put your axis trough that :)

8. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I think you can salvage this also. One other way is like FIAAOs : remake the piece having 3 screws in it so it extends to the left and up. Then you'll have wood where you need it.

There's no perfect work--but there are perfectly hidden mistakes;)

9. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

Awesome thanks for all the replies guys you've given me a few ideas to fix this :) ill put pics up when I'm done

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

You can fix this (the wooden plates method sounds good to me), but it seems that your slot is uneven. You may want to redo the part for that reason. Precision saw work is needed, especially if the balls you want to shoot are relatively small. Otherwise the string may jump the ball.

11. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

Hey joerg, the ball is actually a snug fit all the way along the centre piece, the sides aren't as wide to allow the string to pass but not the ball to fall out. Hopefully it dosent jump the ball but practice makes perfect lol :) I was trying to build it with the ability to shoot 10mm smooth metal bar or arrows and 9.5mm ball bearings which made it a bit more difficult

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It might work with balls as long as the rubber isn't too strong. Rods will work a lot better.

13. Aus0utlaw

Aus0utlaw New Member

Will the string still jump the balls if I use slightly thicker paracord? Maybe 8mm? The barrel is 10mm high by 12mm wide. Btw my plywood string release snapped under pressure may have to use metal because I only have about 9mm thickness to play with :/