help needed - adjusting laser sight

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by MaddyMax, Jul 6, 2013.

1. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i plan to mount a laser sight on a sling-x-bow.

therefore i took a little keychain laserpointer apart and soldered a bridge instead of the button and two wires onto the circuit that now stick out of the back.

the button will then be on the trigger of the weapon (it should only light up if trigger pressed lightly to save battery life and to get less attraction - i don't want to irritate pilots).

instead of the little original batteries i will put a accu-pack (actually a batterypack from old flashlight for 3xAAA) into the handle of the weapon.

only problem i have is a simple solution to adjust windage and elevation.
    i don't want to add a lot of parts to keep it small but otherwise it should keep the adjustment if i shake or drop the weapon.

any suggestions?
    thanx in advance!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

You may possibly be able to design a small bracket to hold the body of the laser. With a pair of thumbscrews for windage and elevation, such a clamp should work well. If you don't like the idea of making your own, it may be worth looking at cheap air gun scope/laser mounts that you can purchase. I'm not sure of your location or the availability of a store, but you should be able to find something. I'll look around in my part of the world today, if I get a chance, and I'll post what I find.
    Good luck and happy hunting in the meantime!

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

thanx will! preferably i want to build it myself.

i tried putting it into a piece of aluminium tube with three screws in the front and three in the back. that was very stable but a real pain in the butt to adjust. no idea to do that with only 2 screws (1x windage, 1x elevation). what do you mean with bracket/clamp (here's the border of my english knowlege)?

btw, i won't hunt with it. except soda cans and bottlecaps of course.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well, in one of Joergs videos, he made a mount for his scope out of wood that allowed for adjustment, yet was very simple. I believe that design would work perfectly for what you are doing. Let me see if I can find the video and post the link so you can take a good look at it.

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

have a look at the medival crossbow from joerg, he made a adjustable scope on that one

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

thanx g_y and will again!

its just for a x-bow, on normal forks it would spoil the fun. it would also help to adjust normal sights and investigate ballistic curves of different ammo on different ranges. i know jörgs videos but these attachements seemed a bit too bulky for me. i want to still have also a normal sight or scope on it. but maybe this is the best solution and i will do it like that.

8. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

analyse, not investigate, sorry ...

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I was thinking that if you attach the laser under the barrel of the x-bow, it should stay out of the way and still allow you to use conventional sights

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

that was what i planned. and i want it to be as small and as simple as possible because i want to place it on (into) other x-bows also to help me adjust the sights.

i'm just a bit worn down from a lot of unsuccessful experiments with steel springs, screws and such.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I can see how that would be really frustrating. I know how that feels. Sometimes, when I am at a dead-end, I just walk away for a bit and clear my head and think about other things. But its funny that often it helps me to find a solution!

12. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

yeah, ya right. don't have to make it today.

i'm sure suddenly the simplest solution will come to my mind. still waitin' ...

... i mean if i wouldn't completely ran out of money i could buy something like these expensive laser sights for the handle of glock pistols. they are very small but easy to adjust. if i only knew how this is possible?

13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

My thoughts were to mount it on a small hinge. The fixed half of the hinge would pivot on one screw and have a slot filed out for the other screw. This would adjust side to side.

The hinge would control the elevation, with a hole in the moving half tapped with threads or between two nuts and a jackscrew to set it for up and down.

Hope this makes sense.

It would be pretty compact and adjust with a minimum of fussing around--a known number of turns on the elevation jackscrew should equal about the same change in range every time.

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

thanks to you guys, i found a satisfying solution. "hinge" was the word.

Attached Files:

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice job! I knew you would discover a solution! Great suggestion S.M!