Help! Making weapons out of bones..

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by JohnKrakatoa, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

[NSFW]Help! Making weapons out of bones..

Hi there. I need help on how to prep bones (deer hind leg) when using them for making weapons or for sling making. Father bought half of a deer for 5eur/kg and I can see me making a cudgel or something from the bones. A quick google was fruitless...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

what do you want to make, and do you want to do it aboriginal style or do you want to do it the easy way??

4. JohnKrakatoa

probably the easy way..dunno. Whats the difference between them? Also I think a cudgel would be the easiest...but I would love to laminate some bone into a sling too

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

its a nice big bone

what ever you do its best not to boil the bone... i can become brittle

i would put it in a pan off vinegar and a lot of salt, warm this till its just about to boil, but dont let it boil... keep it there or an hour of two
    this will make it easy to get all the meat and other stuff off

the difference between the easy way and the aboriginal way is using power tools in stead of hours and hours of blood sweat and tears

use a metal saw or angle grinder to cut out the shape and form it on a band grinder, oil it at the end, its pretty straight forward

6. JohnKrakatoa

oh ok. ty very much! Its really nice. also the top leg part bone (femur??) is very nice and much longer...so well see

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I've worked with bone a little... Dremel sanding drums and high speed cutters will detail shape without wearing them out too quickly but much faster than wood. It also smells pretty bad! I use weather aged deer leg bones cut in half and "planted" with the joint in the ground and open center (where marrow was) sticking up out of ground a few inches as a weather proof scent holders and sight attractors while predator trapping. You will probably want to clean it well as Tilia suggested and dry it well before working it. Depending what u want to do, maybe open it up cross or length ways too to remove the marrow or it will go rancid and smell funky a looong time

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

This one in your hand in the last 2 pictures is the femur.

The knee part have 2 solid pillars on each side, that can be kept to assemble a fork. The inner central part can be cut easier. I reffer to the tip that is on the thumb side (you are holding it upside down.):D

9. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

What about antlers? I have some cutlery with antler handles, and being in Kansas City antlers are plentiful. Are they suitable for making slingshots?

-Wild Bill

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is something I have been quietly waiting to see show up on here. As hard as antler is, I would think it would be a great material, plus it is a 'natural fork' too:D!

11. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

first i would let the dog play with it for a few months, then see what is left :p

12. JohnKrakatoa

Thx a bunch BV ! Yeah i got it confused.... haha..

About antlers... I saw a couple of slings from them on Jörg's gallery so...

13. Haze

Haze New Member

I never thought of this. I can get a cow femur sawn in half lengthwise for $3.50 at my local supermarket! I'm going to do the vinegar thing and then dry the bone. The Australian summer is coming. The drying won't take long.

14. Otees

Otees Another Member

I can't wait till summer!

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

remember to remove all the marrow!!! it's a living tissue and it will smell!!!

16. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

sure you can make a sling from antlers

quick look on the web

[​IMG]

17. JohnKrakatoa

Yep, thats Jörg's hand

18. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

whitetail hoof knuckle vile

I spent about an hour locating this little "stinker"... I gotta call it that because it was from a season before last, remained in this northern "Great Outdoors" for about 10 months in it's natural decomposition state (my own slightly controlled carcass compost) then "opened" at the thicker/ankle end with a dremel green stone this last spring around the end of March. The small bit of shrunken up marrow tissue had of course cycled through many freeze/thaws so the bone itself seems permanently fragranced with that faint rancid odor but tolerable now after a few baking soda/water soaks n scrubs. A tiny start it was to spark a bit of interest in, aaah... bonerism...? Nah... Self-induced anthropology seems more p.c.

Attached Files:

19. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

almost forgot-

7 mm Remington mag hollow-point bullet on left (never shot but extracted from live load for brass case, fishing lure spinner blade/primer cap end for for air rifle target fun!) Far right is just a quick 3/8" diameter friction fit chunk of maple dowel. Gun powder..? Huh... What cache. . . .?! :rolleyes:

20. Dorfjunge

Dorfjunge New Member

Eisbein!

Hello, a few years ago I built a W-Slingshot out of Metal and put the bone of an "Eisbein" on the rod in the middle to get a very nice and bad ass handle. ;-)