Hello im new and clueless :D

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by jordanmc97, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jordanmc97

jordanmc97 New Member

Hi guys, jordan here, im new to the slingshot forums, came across it a few days ago after realising i wouldn't be allowed to purchase an air rifle (strict parents) lol, so i chose the next best thing :) A slingshot. I've spend all day making one with some files, a hand saw and sandpaper, it's pretty awful as i only had access to cheap wood but it'l get the job done. Where can i purchase flat bands and are TBG the best on the market?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated :)
    I'l be making a better slingshot when i can afford to get some tools and a nice piece of wood. Can't find any natty forks in the UK (i live in Blackpool lol). I'm 15 BTW, is it okay to be on the forum? or is there an 18 requirement.

2. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

welcome on the forum
    i use thera band blue but i think tbg is the best
    BTW 18 mm multiplex is a good and strong wood to start whith(ask your local woodstore)
    there is no 18 requirement (I'm 12)

Enes[​IMG]

3. jordanmc97

jordanmc97 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply mate, and yes i noticed the multiplex slingshots and i'm glad you aren't restricted by age limits:)

4. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

you're welcome

5. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice to have you with us! Have fun in the Forum;)
    I think Rubber from the Hospital is the Strongest, but I have never hold this in my hands. Brazilviking or Aturo can tell you more about this. TBG is also very powerfull but you need only very Strong Rubber for heavy ammo. When you use TBG, you can use also Jörg's Calculator -> http://www.slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html
    And this forum have only one Rule ;) ->
    But please be careful with your slingshot, it is much more Powerful than an air rifle.
    You should be wear especially protective glasses to save your Eye for the rubber that always break after 50-200 shots.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. Hello and welcome!

Sorry to hear that your parents won't let you get an airgun, don't let such a setback spoil your passion!

As for your question, you can either buy flat bands online (i.e. on Ebay) or you can get pre-assembled band/tube + pouch kits at an armory.

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

welcome!

tbg is one of the best you can get (on ebay, amazon, sport shops, gym's, orthopaedic stores, ...). still you can try also other bands like the red asda resistance bands for instance.

soon you'll also find out that air rifles are the next best thing after a selfmade slingshot with great elastics! not reverse. :D

as said above, be sure that the wood is strong/thick enough. use (cross-grain-laminated) plywood/multiplex to be on the safe side.

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Thera band gold is the best Jordan. but other theraband can be used in several layers. Don't forget that you will need a rotatory cutter to cut these bands. If you find it difficult to get (impossible, they are cheap on e-bay), you can use thera tubes, wher silver is the strongest (and as I've discovered recently, impossible to use on a slingshot).....if you have a strong arm, you can use black, otherwise I recomend blue or red.
    Office rubber can be used either or even surgical tubes....but in the end, TBg is better.
    Now.....wood! even with cheap and weak wood, you can glue thin pieces together to make it stronger...but the grain orientation must be different....90 degrees if possible. It would be great if you have a jigsaw, but you can use a drill to punch holes around the shape and complete them with a hand saw.
    Naturals are easier , you just have to remove the berk and file them. like this....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlWecURh_OU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlWecURh_OU[/ame]
    well.....this is the basic. Feel free to ask for help! PM me if necessary.
    Welcome to the forum!

9. Brazilviking

we were writting at the same time...LOL
    My "magic rubber" is unavailable for most people....unfortunately....:(

10. Brazilviking

I forgot to say....check your local country/state laws about slingshots! if you want power, an armbrace can help....but it is ilegal in some places!

11. jordanmc97

jordanmc97 New Member

Thankyou to all of you, il take the advice given :) any reccomended basic hand tools for making a better slingshot? Got £30 atm

12. Schultz

Schultz New Member

No problem, feel free to ask when you need some Help.
    For the Start is a Sharp knife, TBG and leather enough, to make a nice Naturell. But when you have some Money, a Rasp and lot of Sandpaper helps a lot. But you can also make Strong Steel Slingshots with Common tools -->
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zeQO7ObhoQ[/ame]
    or like this, with tools from the Warehouse ;)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIabRkEg2Dk[/ame]
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/vertebreaker-30268/index3.html
    Brazilviking is really an Expert to make Slingshots from his Lego and other Stuff, you should watch his Threads when you need some Inspirations ;)

13. Brazilviking

the very basic, in my opinion are:
    Coping Saw
    Rasps
    Files
    Sandpaper
    Power drill
    Knife

As you evolve, you may want a jigsaw or a table saw (the second seems better)
    I recently discovered the joy and greatness to have an eletric planer...
    My personal friend and essential for every job is the Dremel tool and his whole kit of acessories. (If I had to pick only one power tool, it would be the dremel...no doubt!)

All this fancy stuff depends on how handy and used to them you are and the types of slingshots you want to make!

You can get great blueprints on this forum. Although I think the creators of those are the best and genious of the slingshot, I like to create them myself with my insane mind.:D. Hopefully some day I might get to a good level of knowledge and create something that cn be a reference to others.....

But we are talking about you! As you could not get an air rifle (I have 2 pcp airguns of a high level....and I think slingshot are better for fun!!) you might wanna make a sling rifle or a slingcrossbow....... that requires study and plannig.....and patience. And you can get also some blueprints here!

14. Adirondack

Adirondack AK

I'm new to this forum as well, love slingshots, def has the potential to do more damage than an air rifle, I make my own frames and band / tube sets, everything from 107s , .30 latex, tbg, and hygenic tubes, seems like a great place to share info!!

15. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Hello and wellcome. I'm new to and it's more exiting that way - u get to make all the mistakes on your own.
    Enjoy!

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello, glad to have you here with us! There are some amazing craftsmen here, you will learn a lot very soon! Feel free to ask any questions, never be shy about that!

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

18. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Welcome to the forum Jordan! Glad to have you with us!

For your first slingshot Joerg has this tutorial for a very simple model:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW_RWRKU93o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW_RWRKU93o[/ame]

I have tried it, and it actually works great!

All you need is a wooden dowel, a saw and ducttape. (For the slingshot frame)

If you don't have acess to leather for a pouch, you can try this method I discovered during a recess in school:

Attached Files:

19. Otees

Otees Another Member

Welcome!! I was like u just last year, you don't know how fast you will improve. I'm sure your ss will be awesome. I got my theraband gold from the physio for free when I was injured but ebay and other sites are good. U can use surgical tube (My first thing that I used) or 107 office rubber (I used that later on) they perform good but ultimately tbg is the best. But have fun and post a thread when your done!!! :)

20. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thats what I did when I was up at my friends mountain house we made use of duct tape. We shot off the lookout. So fun ;).