Hello from Oregon, USA!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Withak, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Hi everyone - just wanted to introduce myself. I've been watching The Slingshot Channel on YouTube for awhile and thought I'd check out the forum, which I then decided to join. I'm a native of Oregon in the beautiful Pacific Northwest of the USA.

I'm pretty new to slingshots and had no idea how much talent and skill can be found out there. I've been inspired to try and make one myself some day. I've got some trees in the yard that may make for a decent weapon if I can find just the right branches. I haven't tried a project like this before, but I did just do a strip and re-finish of a gun stock that turned out very nice, so I should at least be able to do a decent finish job, regardless of my cutting/carving skills ;)

I've been an avid firearms guy for many years, but recently have found interest in other weapon types since it can be difficult to get out and shoot my guns. I can get away with slingshots and even some quiet airguns in my yard to at least partially satisfy my urge to put projectiles down-range.

Looks like a nice place to get some inspiration and learn some things. It's also fun to see the international representation here. Being the descendant of numerous immigrants from Europe, I can't help but feel a remote connection to the places my grandparents and great-grandparents came from.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello and welcome! Nice to have you here with us! Oregon is a beautiful state, I lived and worked there for quite a while, and hopefully will again soon. This slingshot hobby is very addictive! You will soon have removed every branch in your area, and will be unable to look at a tree without thinking about good forks:D!
    Lots of good, friendly members here, so don't hesitate to ask any questions!

3. Obelix

Obelix Delete

Welcome to the Forum.

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

You will get addicted in no time and the trees in the backyard won't even have branches after the first few weeks ^^ welcome to the slingshot forum a lot of people from the USA not a bad thing but a good thing, in school I have a lot of American friends but they always left :( you won't leave will you.... :p lol well feel free to pm us if you need any help preferably will brazil Viking or other more experience ss makers :)

J

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Hopefully I'll be around for awhile. I can say the same though, the folks I've met as exchange students always left here! I'm still in touch with some of them though. I love how the internet makes staying in touch around the globe so much easier. I remember when it was too expensive to call my friends, so we used snail mail, and it took weeks to get a response back. Now, instant gratification.

As for the branches, I suspect my wife may not be too happy with me as time progresses...I've got my eyes on two cherry trees that I suspect may be good fodder for slingshot blanks.

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

"Honey, I need to cut a few branches from the tree... It's getting windy and I don't want them to fall down and damage the car!" :D

Welcome to the forum!

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks for the kind greeting. I'm looking forward to learning from you much more skilled folks than me! Here is one question for you and the others:

I don't know what woods are best (yet), but just in my yard I may have access to: Cherry, Apple, Pear, Fig, Chestnut, Maple and Douglas Fir. I figure the maple and cherry would be the prime candidates, not only for strength, but the beauty of the wood. One of the cherry trees is beginning to die, so it may get cut down and cut up for forks. Anyone have thoughts on those various wood types?

Also, what is the minimum diameter of the wood I should be looking for? I suspect the most important diameter is on the forks themselves.

10. FIAAO

Do you mind if I come visit you? :D

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

In my experience, fruit woods are extremely strong, so any of those mentioned would be good and good looking as well. I would steer clear from the fir, a bit too soft for safety. I've seen a very nice shooter made from a Rhododendrum fork, and depending on where you are in Oregon, there may be quite a bit of that at hand.
    As far as the minimum branch diameter, the strength of your bands and intended ammunition would dictate that.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a good suggestion - I hadn't considered rhodies, and we have a lot of those in our area. I need to start looking with a forked mind :)

13. Brazilviking

What about tools? How is your gear? Hand tools, eletric tools? Saws, drills, planers, beltsanders?

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I am an electrician by trade, though I no longer work in the field, so I have picked up a nice collection of tools for both work and home. I have a selection of files and sandpaper (120 grit up to 400 grit), I have power tools such as drills, circular saw, jig saw, compound mitre saw, drill press, hand-held belt sander, palm sander, dremel tool, small table saw, large and small air compressor and a bench grinder. Hand tools would include regular saws, coping saw and all manner of wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, chisels and sockets. I'm competent with my tools, but I wouldn't consider myself a craftsman with respect to working with wood. I'm curious to see if I can teach myself through practice and patience.

What I really don't have are woodworking type tools. While I've done some minimal woodwork on repairing some gun stocks, etc., I'm not a woodworker. I see some mentions here of rasps and files. The files I have are primarily for use on metal, though I suppose they could be used on wood?

I'd happily welcome suggestions of specific tools that will make this process easier, as well as suggestions on finish products. I do keep a small collection of wood stains and varnishes, but it seems the folks here prefer a more natural type of finish. I just stripped and refinished a rifle stock, but refinished with wood stain and varnish, not sure if I want to take that approach with a slinghshot or not.

So folks, what do you say? Do I have enough to get started? Anything in particular I should have on hand that I may not have?

15. Brazilviking

You seem very well equipped!!!!

16. FIAAO

I would suggest you get get a rasp and file-set for woodworking, with metal-files it would take forever. That's my experience anyway.

17. Brazilviking

Totally agree, and that is not expensive!

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Welcome! My advice as with wills is forget the df but all the fruit woods are exactly what you're lookin for. Tool wise, a scrollsaw is rippin good for board cuts, but I couldn't get by without my oscillating spindle/belt sander. Oscillating is the key as it's almost impossible to burn your fork with this feature, as well as lessening my sanding time as I hate sanding like pitbulls hate Michael Vick;).

19. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, etrain16 ! :)

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I think I've got one wood rasp - a flat one, but I think some rounded ones will be good to add as well. I'll have to take a look at some wood files too. Thanks for the suggestions.