Hello from North Texas

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by 1970rider, Sep 28, 2013.

1. 1970rider

1970rider New Member

Hello, my name is Mike. Like so many others on here, I had played around with slingshots as a young person, but had put it aside for things that go bang. The truth is I discovered Joerg's site by accident and was instantly intrigued. He put the fun back into slingshots. I hope to copy and build on some of his projects. Also I'm new to forums so bare with me if I screw something up.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Hi Mike, welcome. If you haven't shot a slingy for a while you may want to start with something simple, joergs designs are quite specific to hammergrip and are not for everyone(myself included). The hayes pocket predator and others may be better for you, you don't have to be perfect with technique every time and can relax and enjoy the shooting.

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Main thing is to relax and enjoy :) Pretty laid back group here, some real talents both for making and shooting. Welcome to the loony bin!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome Mike. I think you'll enjoy it here. Dolomite has some good recommendations for you. I too enjoyed them as a kid, but now that I see them from an adult's perspective, I feel like I was missing out on some real fun for years!

5. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC! As said above, the hammer grip style SS's can be difficult for beginners--like me. The amount of wrist stress they generate can become a problem after shooting for a while. The supported grip style SS's don't beat up on your wrist so bad. Good luck with whatever you choose to go with...

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi Mike,
    I started making/ shooting slingshots for almost two years. Can you believe that?! I ruined my childhood!! ;)
    Welcome to the forum.

7. 1970rider

1970rider New Member

Thank you everyone for the resounding welcome and for the advice. I'm still debating where to begin as far as a high end slingy goes, but I believe until I decide I may just purchase a commercially available one.

8. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome Mike.

Do check out Pocketpredator, as well as flippinout as sources for top quality, finished slingshots that won't break the budget.

Be careful if you build your own--many poor folks around here have contracted a severe addiction from this and can't stop.(yeah, I'm one of them.)