Hello from Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by michael247, Dec 5, 2013.

1. michael247

michael247 New Member

Hey guys,

I just recently got excited (if not addicted) by slingshots after I started watching lots of videos on Youtube. I had a few slingshots when I was a kid quite some time ago and I was pretty impressed how accurate many shooters are nowadays, even on quite long distances. So I decided to get myself one and give it a shot. First I thought about the Hathcock Target Sniper from Pocket Predator because I simply loved the design (mainly the look as I couldn't actually try it yet). However, at that time I wasn't even sure whether I would prefer to hold the fork with my left or my right hand and what grip I would prefer either. So I got myself a Scout from Simple-Shot first and so far I like it.

By the way, I am a German living in Hong Kong now for about three years. I am curious whether there are more slingshot enthusiasts from Hong Kong here?

Hong Kong, as most may know, is densely populated and I live pretty much in the heart of Kowloon. So it's not like just going my backyard to find a safe place (mostly for other people) to do some training. Luckily I found a good spot where I can go in the nighttime close to where I live which will do for the beginning to shoot on some cans.

My wife helped me to order steel balls from Taobao (Chinese Ebay, doesn't even have an English user interface) which are extraordinarily cheap (4kg of 10mm for about 8 US$ !). Though the shipping to Hong Kong is still more expensive than the ammunition itself.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone. I guess I just found a new hobby.

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome to the forum, Michael! I think I've only seen one other person report in from Asia, and can't recall seeing them for a while. Perhaps your presence will encourage others to join in. From what I've seen, it appears slingshots are big in your part of the world, so there should be no shortage of shooters in your neck of the woods. The Scout is a nice model to start with. But hang around here for a while and you'll probably get the urge to start building your own.

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Welcome! Withak put it quite mild about what is happening here, as he didn't want to spook you off by being too blunt... Many of us are quite sick with all this... Look around and it's very clear to see! We are all quite friendly and try to help anybody in need, but be careful because for some of us, it has become a full blown infection, it is contagious and most of us are humbly willing to spread it far and wide! Have fun here~it's a great place to be!

4. noah013

noah013 Member

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I am a chinese boy living in the Netherlands. I do speak cantonese. Like Ravensbull said, it is like a disease. I think you will get infected :p.

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

6. michael247

michael247 New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

So far I don't think you guys are "sick" though. I'd call it dedicated. That's why I decided to join this forum. Just awesome.

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC!

[Joke]Actually, it’s a “spiritual disease.” The meeting starts in 10 minutes, so grab a
    cup of coffee and pull up a chair. We’ll be working on the First Step today.[/Joke]

We may be afflicted, but we’re not without a sense of humor...

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Welcome! Wow... 4 kilos is how many?

9. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hallo da drüben

Hallo Michael,

schön, daß Du jetzt auch da bist!
    You have been warned about that
    multi dimensional contageousness!
    The "bug"!- Once bitten he is gonna
    make you enjoy the bliss of taking
    creativity in your own hands.

But there´s at least a few days left..

Welcome aboard,

Be

11. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Hang on I misread your question:

10mm bearing about 3.6g (?)
    4kg is 4000g
    4000g/3.6g is about 1100 bearings.
    Wow.

$8/1100bearings is less than 0.72 cents each

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

13. LloydLupfer

LloydLupfer Is Awesome!!!!

I got bitten by the bug a short time ago and it's all I can think about since. What all these guys speak of is true lol. Welcome to the forum and you are in good company!

14. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!

15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome to a fellow Michael.

hope you enjoy your time here.

16. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

wow

thats a great price ! Do they ship worldwide? To Slovakia ? I want 1100 10mm balls for 8 bucks ! :D

17. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Herzlich willkommen.

18. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Hello and welcome, what they say is true. I joined at the end of November and spent 3 hours today tying bands yesterday walking around looking for bits of wood but I'm not addicted honest
    RRRs

19. michael247

michael247 New Member

I suppose they ship worldwide. The shipping will be more expensive than the actual product though. I paid about 8$ for the balls and another 14$ for the shipping to Hong Kong. Within China it would have been free shipping. The shipping to Hong Kong was some sort of express shipping though, it was within 3 days or so and they called to make sure I am at home for the delivery. My wife told me that there would have been another cheaper shipping option within 2 weeks or so but it wouldn't have been way cheaper. Anyhow, ~22$ for 4kg is sweet.
    The only problem with Taobao is that you need someone who can deal with the Chinese user interface and can contact the sellers there and talk about the shipping and all that.

20. michael247

michael247 New Member

2 kg, half of it, with some balls already missing.

Attached Files: