Hello From Central Victoria Australia!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by roger59, May 27, 2013.

1. roger59

roger59 Member

Hi there,
    I should have read the rules about the forum and posted after that... but I will just make a hello post anyways.

I live in the southern part of Australia nearest the largest population concentration on my continent. it's not cold here in winter by any standards, but we like to keep warm by staying indoors and burning huge amounts of wood!

I have been making slingshots since I was about 9 yr old, and my father would always regale me with tales of starling massacres he performed with his best mates and brothers.

Having grown up in the city the preferred frame building method they would use is a wire frame, made from fencing wire or thick steel coathangers. my first slinshots where made from these materials, but in highschool we would bend them out of 8mm round bar and brace with a weld or two. the trick was to sneak them out of the workshop so the teacher could'nt nick them and take them home, he used to boast that he had over forty of them stashed at his farm and would only keep the best ones. he had two of mine, but i managed to sneak out a few more than that. in that time it was often thought that the "surgical " type of rubber or postal rubber bands where the best for rubber, and that the store bought "wrist brace" black widow or barnett or whatever where the most powerful. Anyway, i managed to give all of mine away that i had made in class, but my best mate kept one of the same design that his cousin had made and would be now about 25 years old.

cut to the present- i have always been a nut for archery and slingshots, shanghai's, gloveguns, catapaults, manganells, trebuchets, potato guns, guns in general, and rockets, spaceships, aeroplanes and motorcycles. i love the sensation of flying, and shooting stuff. just like any big kid.

i have built various slingshots in that last few years, and now that i have too much time on my hands again i have begun to build some more. i started off with the big is better method, but have come to love the small and tiny and more efficient designs that i have seen Joerge Sprave build and design.

I am still learning alot about the designs, materials and building methods and use this site as a reference for anything i am unsure about, i have a few that i have been working on and i have been building out of red gum, ply board and aluminium and steel, i will post some photos when i get the chance and i will say that the thing that dragged me to the site was the youtube- slingshot channel (i was actually looking for blunderbuss related videos)

bye for now.

2. roger59

roger59 Member

hi just finished off a few more SS's two mini's and a natural took me a couple of hours, and i have not yet done everything. i sanded the natural and one of the mini's and finished in neetsfoot oil. smells great.

the timber i used for the mini is a part of the old woolstore in melbourne victoria, that was an off cut of an off cut of an offcut, phew. i cut it out with the jigsore (bad pun) and rasped, filed and sanded it down. it is for my 5yr old son, and the smaller rounder redgum (it is sp. eucalyptus camaldulensus) SS is for my 3 yr old daughter. i like to work with redgum, it is heavy, dense, has a high compound strength, a lovely rich red colour and machines well. the only draw back being it is prone to fractures.

the other SS is an off cut of an Acacia silver wattle that fell over in the back yard, i have docked it and attempted to make a bit of a chunky moorhammer with it. it is super dense, hard and light- plus it has wonderful colours that come out after it has been worked and oiled.

the leather will come from an old blundstone workboot, and i will use a mix of elastic bands to make some nice rubber. i will use marbles for now, as a supply of steel balls and a target trap have not yet been acquired.

Attached Files:

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Welcome, and very nice work!! I've never built anything with eucalyptus wood, however I have cut and split many a cord for firewood and the smell is great! Hope you enjoy the forum and I look forward to seeing more of your shooters!

4. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Nice slingshots you made there. Glad to know you will be shootin' with your kids and i hope they will contract the slingshot virus too.;)
    Cheers, Red.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. roger59

roger59 Member

thanks Red,
    yes they will be shooting more and more as they get older, and both already have an interest in archery and slingshots. my eldest is now studying Karate also, in the hope that it helps with a few of his other issues.

On the weekend just past my childeren and i used the wonderful weather to collect a few more forks to build some naturals, and i have just finished one of them (most of the other forks are still a bit green, and i was hoping to wait until they dry before working them).

This particular shooter is made from a fork of an Acacia, and i spent a lot more time working the handle to get a contoured grip inspired by the Joerge Sprave style grip. the fork is more of a pickle fork shape but it is very comfortable and i and very keen to slot it and put some bands on it.

This natural is of course is oiled with neetsfoot and still needs a few touches to complete it.

bye for now.

Attached Files: