Heavy 9" spike gun... how about really heavy arrows?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by 48Chris, Jan 10, 2013.

1. 48Chris

48Chris New Member

I recently got some ideas after watching some of Joerg's videos. Namely that 9" nail is so massive and powerfull and mass seems to be what makes a sling device more or less powerful. So lets make heavy arrows. However, heavier commercial arrows are very stiff though and may reduce the efficiency with which the device converts its energy into forward motion. A few ideas came to mind of how to increace the mass of the arrow without increasing the diameter and negatively affecting the spine. In addition, a smaller cross sectional density of the arrow could translate into more penetration, potentially much more. In an ideal archery shot deer you will go through the vitals out the other side and leave a healty blood trail. Don't get me wrong many of the arrow shooters could definitly reach a deer's heart and cause a succesful harvest. Some of the ideas come from atlatls so perhaps we should think of sling arrows in terms of some atlatl dart atributes.<br>1. Steel foreshafts and/or tailshafts<br>2. Filling the aluminum tube with a heavy medium, such as dry sand, fine steel or lead shot.<br>3. Making a double length arrow to shoot from full butterfly- a sling/atlatl rather than a sling bow.<br>(apparently you can cut off the knock end of an arrow and glue in a golf T in its place; this can be better held in a pouch)...<br>I really wanted to share these ideas with Joerg. If you guys can think of any think else that can make those awesome arrow shooters even cooler, feel free to add.<br>Chris

2. 48Chris

48Chris New Member

More sling/altatl ideas... If you attached a steel ball to the tail of the dart you could potentially shoot the device using Tobias's fist grip technique. As long as the ball could pass easily through the whisker biscuit, it shouldn't affect accuracy. Steel foreshafts could be cut from nominal steel rod, drilled and tapped on the lathe. The connectors used to make a take-down arrow could hold the different commponents of the sling/atlatl dart togther. Anyway guys i'd just starting my first flat band slingshot so I'm to much of a beginner to make any ot these things. If the ideas help anybody I'm glad I shared. Take care, Chris

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Chris, heavy stuff at the rear end of the arrow are not a good idea. Arrows need to be front heavy, otherwise they won't fly straight. <br><br>If you want heavy arrows, simply use aluminum shafts and employ heavy steel tips.

4. 48Chris

48Chris New Member

Joerg, I definitely agree, and as expected it sounds like you have probably already done a lot of eperimentation with heavy arrows. So, If you make the steel foreshaft heavier than the tail ball the unit should be front heavy like an atlatl dart. So the dart would be: steel broad head, steel foreshaft, arrow shaft 1, arrow shaft 2, tail ball. The butterfly position would increase acceleration time of the dart. Anyway, this is just brainstorming. All of the experiments you do are a real blast.<br>Creativity to the max.<br>chris