Hdpe

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Dec 29, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

What's good for pouring hdpe into that will form it into a block???

2. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

The art of weapons had a vid how to make a hdpe slingshot

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

to answer the question:

heat, any form of form and gravity..

Greetings,

Be

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I found these pictures of a homemade jig a while back and saved them because they looked like a good idea. No instructions but seem fairly self explanatery.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks to be just made from plywood and 1 inch batten. I like the idea of the slider to get it really compressed. Ill be making something like it when I get some spare time.

Hope it helps :)

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

HDPE does not pour. It is like dealing with hot taffy. On the other forum is a really long thread on this.(HDPE sheet) It is a lot of reading but you will learn a lot on the subject.

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you guys I was just curious I have a whole rubber maid tub that is broken made of hdpe and wanted to cut it up and mold it so could I make just a square jig and let it sit?? I like that idea with the top that slides thatnk you

7. codido187

codido187 New Member

What if i scooped it out into a cake pan a square cake pan

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

That will be fine. But you need to have a board or something that wont stick that will fit into the pan and some weight to put on it to make sure that there are no voids.

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

A cake pan some ply wood and a c clam

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

I would like to make a hdpe slingshot but I don't even know where to begin I guess to begin is the mold

11. fiskey81

fiskey81 Junior Member

go on ebay they sell sheets of hdpe and if you look you can score it at reasonable prices

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

13. fiskey81

fiskey81 Junior Member

not a problem. i just picked up a few sheets myself the price was good and the materials awesome unless you wanna bod stuff to it.

14. this is my tutorial on #HDPE from milk cartons, i hope that it helps
    part 2 is up on next Saturday
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvbfLS-JgwA[/ame]

15. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Without being under pressure as it cools it can warp something terrible.

Myself for my first HDPE attempt I simply used 2 foot long 2x4's screwed to a 1x6 board leaving 3 " between them. Which I found a board that fit, ended up with the whole thing in the vise under pressure.

To mix you almost need 2 people, each with oven mitts, and tongs or something to grab the HDPE and twist as you pull so it becomes almost ropelike. Then coil it back nice and tight and reheat.

Best of luck, plan ahead, try a small batch before doing a massive one, you will learn a lot.

16. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you guys I just didn't know how to do it where to begin I'll watch your video i watched your aluminum video and learned a lot

17. codido187

codido187 New Member

Taow may I say you my friend are a genius I was going to get a block of hdpe and cut my design out. I'm watching your video now and I'm doing this right when I get home how many milk cartons did it take to make the first piece